wlc debug log: Discovery request received on wrong VLAN

ngo duyen
Level 1
Level 1

we have a wlc 5508 and lwap 1142

lwap 1142 have join wlc 5508 with ver  AIR-CT5500-K9-7-0-116-0

I upgrade wlc version AIR-CT5500-K9-7-0-220-0

and lwap no long join wlc, on wlc debug I get:

Discovery Request received on wrong VLAN '114' on interface '13', management VLAN = '99', AP Manager VLAN = '99', dropping the packet

wlc hasnt got interface 13.  and I see wlc hasnt got port config in in interface vlan config GUI.

I have seen the same problems:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3509221#3509221

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/1289703#1289703

So the solution: ap-manager vlan and management vlan in same subnet

But why does wlc suddently change the way it use the managent ap-manager and management vlan ?

Thanks

Duyen

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

it was always best practice to have both interfaces on the same subnet. I believe, this made it easier and trouble free when the 5508's didn't have an ap manager to configure unless you disable LAG and specify individual ap managers.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

interface '13', means you have LAG enabled, it is a logical interface number. As for the AP, it sounds like it is on VLAN 114, and the WLC is hearing the broadcast message on VLAN 114 dynamic interface, instead of getting it on the management interface.

Unless you need clients in VLAN 114, you should remove the interface. If you do need clients there, then put the AP on a different VLAN.

HTH,

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

it was always best practice to have both interfaces on the same subnet. I believe, this made it easier and trouble free when the 5508's didn't have an ap manager to configure unless you disable LAG and specify individual ap managers.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

interface '13', means you have LAG enabled, it is a logical interface number. As for the AP, it sounds like it is on VLAN 114, and the WLC is hearing the broadcast message on VLAN 114 dynamic interface, instead of getting it on the management interface.

Unless you need clients in VLAN 114, you should remove the interface. If you do need clients there, then put the AP on a different VLAN.

HTH,

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

thank Scott and Stephen for speed answers

I have to make failover between a  wlc 4400 ver  6  and wlc 5508 version 7.

So the ap-manager and management make me confuse

I will upgrade wlc 4400 to ver 7 and use a ver to management all ap

You do want to keep the wlc versions that will be used together for redundancy on the same version. When you upgrade the 4400, you will still have an ap manager interface to configure. Just place the ap manager on the same subnet and you should have no issues. Just remember the registration process the AP's go through. If the ap are on a different subnet than the management, you might want to setup option 43 or dns to help the AP's find the wlc... Especially if you start changing the ip address.

http://revolutionwifi.blogspot.com/2010/11/capwap-controller-discovery-process_23.html?m=1

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEMQtwIwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYp-RM6_63nc&ei=CLgBT-_9II7jggeE9MWPAg&usg=AFQjCNFzl8JV8hKJ6L4PS9RWfPdomTahBw

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

To piggy back on Scott's comment:

I would also ensure you have the same L2 on both WLCs. This way in case of a failure some clients will not get hung up.

BTW -- Happy new Year Scott and Steve and congrats Scott on the new star!

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Happy New Year to you too!

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

what does interface type 8 means ?

where do you get the number to type from .

could someone please explain why the management and dynamic ip manager should be in the same subnet ? 

i don't understand

i have the same problem, below is the error

*spamApTask4: Apr 11 07:51:35.700: [PA] 00:d7:8f:c5:7e:50 Discovery Request received on wrong VLAN '2385' on interface '13', management VLAN = '260', AP Manager VLAN = '260', dropping the packet

*spamApTask4: Apr 11 07:51:35.700: [PA] 00:d7:8f:c5:7e:50 State machine handler: Failed to process msg type = 1 state = 0 from 172.33.236.1:44915

*spamApTask4: Apr 11 07:51:35.700: [PA] 00:a2:ee:ba:f7:10 Failed to parse CAPWAP packet from 172.33.236.1:44915

(Cisco Controller) >show interface summary

Number of Interfaces.......................... 9

Interface Name Port Vlan Id IP Address Type Ap Mgr Guest
-------------------------------- ---- -------- --------------- ------- ------ -----
client-hi25b LAG 262 172.19.193.252 Dynamic No No
dk24k-wifi LAG 2385 172.33.236.60 Dynamic No No
hi25b-new-ap LAG 1004 10.10.10.10 Dynamic No No
management LAG 260 172.19.193.120 Static Yes No
redundancy-management LAG 260 172.19.193.118 Static No No
redundancy-port - untagged 169.254.193.118 Static No No
service-port N/A N/A 192.168.1.1 Static No No
test LAG 270 0.0.0.0 Dynamic No No
virtual N/A N/A 1.1.1.1 Static No No

please help me as i dont understand clearly 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card