cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC DHCP assigmnets over a WAN

dyorke0403
Level 1
Level 1

I have a (1) 4404 WLC in our Central office. The WLC is setup with LAG enabled; DHCP is assigned by our DHCP server and is connected to a 6509 router. There are 5 VLAN setup on the router. I have AP?s (mixed 1131 and 1121 converted to LWAPP) on each of the VLANS. All AP?s and clients are getting the correct IP addresses corresponding to the VLAN.

The problem? I have (1) remote site where I deployed AP 1131?s. The remote site get IP addresses from my DHCP server in the central office. The AP?s connect across the WAN to the WLC and get the correct IP address assignments for that location. The clients however get IP addresses from the management control port on the WLC. I need the clients to have IP address assignments that correspond to that location as many security aspects we have setup in our network are based on the IP address of the client.

From reading and research on the Cisco site I understand this is the way the system is designed to work. Any suggestions for how to get around this one?

2 Replies 2

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

There is a feature called HREAP. You can configure WLAN for your remote site and when you configure that WLAN there is an option to configure it as local switching instead of central switching via controller.

So you can define that particular WLAN can be switched locally for VLAN which you want.

To know more about it read this link

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/control/c44/ccfig40/c40hreap.htm

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

jvasilko
Level 1
Level 1

I have also seen this issue with only one of our WLC's in a mobility group. The APs are local and they also give client IP addresses in the management vlan. The APs are configured for a wireless data vlan.

I have other dhcp issues where a whole controller is not acquiring dhcp addresses from the same subnets that other controllers are using successfully.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card