Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC discovery using DNS

firestartest
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Has anyone successfully got AP's discovering the WLC using the DNS name CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER?

I cant seem to get the dns server to work properly. I added a host called CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER but it keeps appending the domain name to the end of it. I notice that the documentation states the discovery looks for CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER@localdomain

I'm using MS DNS server. Can anyone help or provide a screenshot of the correct setup on dns.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

drees
Level 1
Level 1

I've setup the DNS name and let it use my local domain, which it does if you don't specify it. It has worked fine.

Just add the A record of cisco-lwapp-controller with the Management IP Address of the controller. It has to be the management, not the AP manager interface. DNS domain should have no relevance. I haven't seen any reference to DNS domain on a WLC.

I've set this up for several clients and it works every time. Common mistake is using the AP Mgr interface address.

I was curious about the same issue, and ran across this document: www.cos-cug.org/Presentations/Wireless.ppt

It seems to suggest that you put the entry in as:

cisco-lwapp-controller.localdomain

I have an Infoblox DNS appliance, and plan to try this, as well as your suggestion.

Thanks.

It was the .localdomain part causing me problems. When I captured packets I noticed that the AP was querying DNS for CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER and the DNS respone was "not found". NSLOOKUP from a client gave the same response, but clients in the Active Directory domain resolved the address.

I added the DHCP option DOMAIN NAME with the name of my AD domain. The AP then queried for CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER.test.co.uk and this worked.

So I summary I had

DHCP scope for AP's.

DNS servers in options

Defailt Gateway in options

Domain Name in options

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card