Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VIP Green

WLC HA requirements

I have not been able to find licensing requirements when setting up WLC in a HA.  I understand that Cisco recommends having same software and hardware versions otherwise the standby WLC will go into maintenance mode.  But is it required that both WLCs have the same license installed?

If it is not a requirement, what will be the impact of having such a setup?

Lets say that the active WLC has a AP license of 100, and the standby WLC has a license of 50.  If the active WLC fails then would the standby only be able to support 50 APs?

Are there any additional licensing requirements for setting up HA?  Is there a RTU license available for the WLC so that we would not have to double up on the license purchase?

Thanks in advance.

--

Please remember to rate and select a correct answer
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: WLC HA requirements

If your not using HA AP SSO or HA N+1, then you need licenses in both WLC's to support all AP's in case of a failover.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
11 REPLIES

HA works if either you buy an HA Sku WLC or if you use an existing WLC that has a minimum of 50 ap licenses. So you really have two choices. In new installs, purchasing the HA sku is cheaper, but for existing, maybe making or having one WLC at 50 is a better route and cost effective.

-Scott

To make it clear, an HA Sku WLC doesn't require purchasing license. This is what makes this a cheaper low cost solution to some.

-Scott
VIP Green

Hi Scott,

We will have 2 WLCs.

but if the number of AP licensed differs as my example above, will that impact the network in the case of a failover?

If active has support for 100 AP and standby has support for 50 AP.  Will we be limited to 50 AP when a failover occurs?

--

If you setup either AP SSO or N+1 following this design, you no longer have to purchase licenses on your primary which has 100 ap license. See the following

With Release 7.4, an HA-SKU secondary controller can be configured as a backup controller for N+1 HA. For example, the following can be used as an HA-SKU controller: ? 5508 Series Standalone controller with 50 AP license ? WiSM-2 Wireless LAN controller ? 7500 Series Standalone controller ? 8500 Series Standalone controller

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide.pdf

-Scott

VIP Green

Thank you for your replies.

But this doesn't really answer my question, perhaps I am wording my question incorrectly.  I understand that the HA SKU license can be used and is much cheaper.  But in the even that we do not want to use the HA SKU option, and want two fully licensed WLCs, would we then be required to have the same licenses installed on both of the WLCs?

Thanks again

--

--

If your not using HA AP SSO or HA N+1, then you need licenses in both WLC's to support all AP's in case of a failover.

-Scott
VIP Green

Ok, that is what I though but nice to get it confirmed

Thank you for you help!

--

--

No problem. I thought you wanted to do N+1:)

-Scott
Cisco Employee

but as i know that these requierment are only for 5500 WLC if using 7500 or wism or 2500 the license is not requier to be at least 50 AP count , correct me if i'm wrong

WLC HA requirements

Well... it would be a waste to have a 2504 with 50 AP's license... but yes, it is intended for the 5508 and higher models.  But if you have a 504 with a 5 ap license, don't expect to be able to use that as an N+1 HA WLC.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content