cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC lost wireless networks

rlaudicina
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 4402 WLC's and a central office and was trying to configure an H-Reap Ap but now the entire wireless network is down. Clients arent getting IP's. I cant see anything that is wrong but things are not working like they should. Please help.

36 Replies 36

Ok so I am good so far then no local Auth, But I dont see anything saying learn ip address. I am working on how to get tinto the 6500 catalyst to configure the port. This is the port that the WLC plugs into I assume?

Okay... Don't worry about that. Depends on the code.

You need to configure the port the access point is connected to not the WLC.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Sorry I am confused here,Do I then have to configure ALL switch ports that are connected to AP's ? BTW its a 4510R not a 6500. I thought I needed to configure the ports that the WLC's connect to on the Core switch.

So if i am understanding correctly, in order to enable H-Reap company wide I will have to configure each switch port that conects to an AP for dot1q?

Yes, unless you want users to be placed on the ap management vlan.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

This is what I was going to do oribinally, but If I understand correctly this wont allow me to use local DHCP servers and this is what was breaking my wireless when I tried it.

When you say local, you mean local to the site where the h-reap ap is located at. Again, you will need to create vlans for the wireless users, assign ip helper to the vlan interface, an make sure you have a dhcp scope created.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

yes I mean the local network the AP is attached to. Ok so I will choose one site and enable dot1.q on the port of the local switch that the AP plugs into. I will then have to create a new vlan for that site and configure a dhcp scope and helper address. Then I can enable the H-reap on the AP.

Repeat for each site....do I have it now? thanks for your patience BYW, just thrown into this and is not really my area.

Also, each site currently has its own vlan, could I not use the existing VLAN at the site? or do I need to create a new one?

It is always best to separate wireless from wired. If you can create new vlans.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Once you are done with the switchport configuration then you will need to click

on the ap and then there will be an h-reap tab. Click that tab and then enable vlan support and put your native vlan there. And then click on the vlan mappin and enter you vlan for each WLAN ssid that you have set local switching to.

That's it.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Awesome thank you very much....now I just have to figure out how to determine which ports the AP's are plugged into and then I am off.

You can do a show ap cdp neighbor all from the cli of the wlc.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Ok so I have configured the switchport with the Native Vlan. I enabled H-Reap on the ap that is connectd to the switch and assigned a Vlan ID to the Vlan ID field. I see the Vlan Mapping table now. If I change the Vlan ID from 1 to the new vlan setting, will this only apply to this AP? I want to make sure I dont break anything thats currentl;y worknig.

It only applies to that AP so you will be fine.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card