Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC + LWAP Moving from L2 to L3

Oerlikon_NZ
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm migrating a remote site from a L2 to L3 WAN link.

This means the AP at the remote site will no longer be able to talk directly(over the same VLAN) to the WLC at HQ.

The AP will receive an IP from the DHCP server(Cisco router) at the remote site.  If I understand the LWAP registration process providing there is routing between the AP and the WLC this should just work?

Is there anything I need to be aware of?  Note - there is already an existing remote site using L3 LWAP.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You should be fine.  The AP is already joining the WLC, so it knows the IP address of the management interface.  So when you convert that link to an L3, the AP will get it's new IP address and will attempt to join the last WLC that it was working on.

You could add in Option 43 in the DHCP scope the AP uses, if you wanted.  It would help for any new AP that come up on that site.

HTH.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You should be fine.  The AP is already joining the WLC, so it knows the IP address of the management interface.  So when you convert that link to an L3, the AP will get it's new IP address and will attempt to join the last WLC that it was working on.

You could add in Option 43 in the DHCP scope the AP uses, if you wanted.  It would help for any new AP that come up on that site.

HTH.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, don't forget to  allow UDP ports 12222 and 12223 (or 5246 and 5247 when using CAPWAP) on your firewalls.

Thanks for all the advice.  From the initial testing I've done this works just fine.

Just one last question.  Should I put the remote AP into it's own LAN and DHCP pool, separate from the remote local users?  What is best practice?

yes you should put the AP in its own subnet and DHCP. Make sure that you limit the AP subnet to DHCP and WLC communication only. That way I'd someone plugs into the AP port they can't go anywhere

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

And put the WLC's management and AP-manager interfaces to the same VLAN too.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card