cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Management Interface

alexbye01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,  I've had a working Controller for the last few months everything was fine.  All of a sudden I can no longer ping the controller nor connect it and all Access Points can't communicate.  If I reboot the controller it temporarily comes back online.  I thought I had a VLAN routing issue so I rebooted my core switch switches last night.  Still the same problem.  I've deleted and reapplied the configuration and can ping the VLAN gateway fine.  The routing tables on the CISCO switch look fine as well.  I reset the WLC back to factory settings and re-setup to the original configuration I had when it first went in (not applying a config file just in case.)

It stayed up for about 10 minutes and now won't ping again.  I'm doing the pings direct from the Core switches just in case something has stripped the VLAN tag.  If I set the WLC to 0 again it stays up for about 10 minutes then drops. 

Core-Switches CISCO SG500-28P Firmware 1.3.7.18

Cisco WLC CT2504 Running Firmware 7.4.121.0

Any Ideas much appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

Do not configure wired clients in the same VLAN or subnet of the service port on the network. If you configure wired clients on the same subnet or VLAN as the service port, you will not be able to access the management interface.

Hi,  Sorry just seen the reply.  I've found the cause of the problem.  The interface on the WLC keeps stating disabled.  Although my switch sees a successful connection.  unfortunately the lights remain on indicating traffic although this isn't the case.  I put it in a non managed switch and the status remains up for a while then goes to disabled again.  I've no idea what is causing this to happen.  According to the FAQ only a CISCO switch can put it in this state.

The non managed switch doesn't have flow control enabled.  Could it be a faulty unit?  Only problem is it's out of the 90 day return policy.

I'm wondering if somehow the unit has got corrupted.  If I download version 8 of the firmware how do i update the unit knowing full well I'll have a problem with the interface devices being admin enabled but link down status.  Somewhat frustrating.

I've fixed the problem now.  I run the recover-config again using a cable direct into my laptop and managed to upgrade the firmware.  This seems to have resolved the issue.  Maybe a bug in multicast caused this but anyway it's now running fine...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card