Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC open WEB Auth concurrent users

I am investigating a hotspot schenario with web-auth passthrough feature.

I found this:

Cisco 5500 controllers can support 150 simultaneous Web Auth Users logins.

Does this mean only when they are authenticating or is it a limitation if I expect more

users to go through the splash page overall ?

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That would be concurrent but I have never had any issues hitting that even with the largest environment of guest users.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Same as I was thining. Having schools with hundred of users not complaining about this limitation.

I am investigating an issue with a hotspot. They use web passthrough where users are redirected

on an external web server. this server only contains email input and login. Sometimes the login

page popps up again. But this could be anything else, like oversubscribed area RF wise, e.t.c

So you have the WLC with a custom portal page that is a passthrough and then once authenticated, they are directed to an external server webpage?

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

No, we have open layer2 , webauth with email-input and external web server redirect.

and to clear it  better. The external webpage has the email input and login button.

after success they are redirected to the hotspot start page and can browse anywhere.

In fact the authentication happens at the WLC, its just the external web server with

the webauth bundle installed and modified. My understanding is that the WLC proxies the webpage externally

but still the authentication takes part on the WLC.

That is correct... I would see if you see any failures on the WLC logs.  If not, maybe the auth is happening too slow from the external server and thus failing.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Thanks I will keep that in mind. Might be a central limitation of bandwith "out of the network"

This is just a preliminary checks.

I will post here if I find something jucy that solves this.

I have been facing an issue that might be related: we have over 1500+ clients joining our main wlan in 15-20 minutes.

When WebAuth is enable (even with Cisco's default internal page), memory starts increasing until the wlc crashes (aroun 90% mem usage).

I believe it might be related to the maximum number of concurrent WebAuth logins, but the strange thing is that this problem happens in 7.4 and 7.5, but not on 7.3.

Does anyone have seen something similar?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you using an anchor WLC? The reason I ask is because I'm curious if it's a WLC with just a a single guest ssid or if you also have other SSID's for your internal ssid.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card