Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC redundancy

Rafael Jimenez
Level 4
Level 4

I have a question about the wlc with the following scenario:

1- I have two 50 APs WLAN Controllers (WLC1, WLC2).

2- I have 20 APs in total.

3- The APs are configured with primary and secondary WLC.

4- Ten of the 20 APs are associated to WLC1 as primary.

5- The other ten APs are associated to WLC2 as secondary.

I need to know what would happen with the APs associated to the WLC1 if the WLC1 fails?.

How fast will be the reassociation to the WLC2.

Are the tcp/udp/etc conections broken?.

Its a possible solution for redundancy?.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Good question. The AP will drop for 5 seconds, flash colors and go right to green (when  no one is associated or deep blue if someone associates right away).

You can test this ... take a test ap, put it on WLC1 then change the primary to WLC2 and enable AP Fall back ... You will see the AP move over to the other controller in a minute or so ...

In any case, you break the LWAPP tunnel and the AP rejoins a new controller and establishes a new tunnel.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DO you have HREAP enabled?
What firmware are you running?

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Good question. The AP will drop for 5 seconds, flash colors and go right to green (when  no one is associated or deep blue if someone associates right away).

You can test this ... take a test ap, put it on WLC1 then change the primary to WLC2 and enable AP Fall back ... You will see the AP move over to the other controller in a minute or so ...

In any case, you break the LWAPP tunnel and the AP rejoins a new controller and establishes a new tunnel.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card