Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC upgrade question

Jagan1976
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I have a 7510 WLC in HA environment at the moment.

I am going to upgrade to new code soon.

Current show boot command shows this output:

(Cisco Controller) >show boot
Primary Boot Image............................... 8.0.140.0
Backup Boot Image................................ 8.2.130.0 (default) (active)

If I were to do a upgrade via TFTP now, what will happen to the backup boot image? Will it get wiped out?

I want to make sure the 8.2.130.0 is still available in case something goes wrong with the new code.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Note: The previously existing backup image will be lost.

In order to remove or overwrite an image on the WLC, boot up the WLC with the image that you want to keep and perform an upgrade. This way, the new image replaces the primary image.

Info: I am trying in my LAB as well: Let you know the result in 5 min.

Update:  you need to have two image in tftp/ftp:1. New image you want to upload and current backup image(which you want to keep)!

When uploading a code to the WLC, the new image will become the primary and the existing image moves to the backup. So what you can do if you want to keep a specific image after you have downloaded a code and it has been replaced, is to upload the image that you want as a backup to the WLC. Of course you need to reboot the WLC after each upload.  If you want to change the defaul boot image, after you upload the image, you can then go to the config boot and choose your primary image to boot from. 

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Note: The previously existing backup image will be lost.

In order to remove or overwrite an image on the WLC, boot up the WLC with the image that you want to keep and perform an upgrade. This way, the new image replaces the primary image.

Info: I am trying in my LAB as well: Let you know the result in 5 min.

Update:  you need to have two image in tftp/ftp:1. New image you want to upload and current backup image(which you want to keep)!

When uploading a code to the WLC, the new image will become the primary and the existing image moves to the backup. So what you can do if you want to keep a specific image after you have downloaded a code and it has been replaced, is to upload the image that you want as a backup to the WLC. Of course you need to reboot the WLC after each upload.  If you want to change the defaul boot image, after you upload the image, you can then go to the config boot and choose your primary image to boot from. 

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card