Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC users disconnect automatically when radius server fails

Hi

I'm trying to solve this problem:

The authentication method in SSID "WIFI" is vía Radius, the users join the network correctly, but if the radius service fail the users are automatically disconnected...

1. In Wlans -> Edit 'WIFI' Advanced tab,  i already disabled the session timeout option.

2. the radius Server is NPS (Network Policy Service) Microsoft.

I think in a normal scenario if the radius server fail the users should be connected until the user manually disconnect and try to join the network again...

somebody have idea about this issue? thanks for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Depends on some other timers as well. It could for example be the reauthentication but also if you have enabled accounting.
Everytime this one is reached, the clients need to reauthenticate.
Anyway, I really recommend that you install a second NPS server, so that you have redundancy. Both radius will then be active and working as standalone. That way you can easily reboot one for updates while the second handles all authentication requests.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Depends on some other timers as well. It could for example be the reauthentication but also if you have enabled accounting.
Everytime this one is reached, the clients need to reauthenticate.
Anyway, I really recommend that you install a second NPS server, so that you have redundancy. Both radius will then be active and working as standalone. That way you can easily reboot one for updates while the second handles all authentication requests.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: