cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Virtual Interfaces

apishko
Level 4
Level 4

I'm currently in the process of configuring multiple 4402 controllers and have a quick question concerning the virtual interfaces on them. According to Cisco they should have a unique ip address assigned to them typically 1.1.1.1. My question is this since I believe the purpose of the Virtual IP address is for the LWAPP AP's and the controllers to talk does each controller need a unique virutal address or can the 1.1.1.1 be used on all controllers as the virtual interface. I would think that I need to have unique addresses assigned to each virutal address 1.1.1.2, .3, etc but I just wanted to verify before I implement and then have to re-do it.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

The Virtual Interface is used to support mobility management, DHCP relay, and embedded layer 3 security like guest web authentication and VPN termination.

The Virtual Interface must be configured with an unassigned and unused gateway IP address. A typical virtual interface is ?1.1.1.1?. The Virtual Interface address will not be pingable and should not exist in any routing table in your network.

If multiple WLCs are configured in a mobility group, the Virtual Interface IP address must be the same on all WLC devices to allow seamless roaming.

Also because it should not exist in any routing table and is for communication between AP and controller which is local to each controller it really does not matter if you use the same virtual ip address on all the controllers. I will say for mobility and seamless roaming it is recommended to have same virtual ip address on all the controller who are in same mobility group.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Ankur,

Thank you very much for the reply. That is what I had believed to be true but just wanted to verify before I implemented and had to redo it.

Thanks again,

Alex

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card