Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC with SSID orientation

mohammad saeed
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Guys,

I want to create 3 SSID in WLC: 2 hidden SSID and one Broadcast. I want to let users to access through SSID broadcast and then when the user enter username and password then WLC switch these users intos hidden SSID...

Can i do this with WLC?

If yes.How?

Thanks

Mohammad

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Nope. Can't be done with SSID.
Can be done using 802.1x and wireless. User signs in and gets "punted" to the VLAN they are meant to go to.

Could you guide me for any doc can help me for configuration?

thanks

do you mean "Dynamic VLAN Assignment " process?

Yes that is what he probably meant.
Alternatively, check this document:
https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-68160
You probably want the variant "Dual SSID Wireless BYOD Self Registration".
Please note, I suggest to not have SSIDs hidden, this only causes problems and is actually bad for security.

I have two questions

1 what do you mean by Dual SSIDs wireless

2 if i did dynamic vlan do i need anyconnect to be able to connect with ssid?

Thanks

Mohammad

You only want to have one SSID that a device connects to.  It’s a bad idea to allow users to choose what SSID they want to connect. The device is the one that will choose, so if a device connects to an SSID that is broadcasting, how will they ever choose to connect to a hidden?  You are making things complicated and it will just make the user experience poor. Stick with one internal secure SSID and a guest SSID and be done with it. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Another question can i use wlc as radius instead of ACS for dynamic vlan assignment?

What you want to do require a radius server? If your a Microsoft shop, spin up an NPS radius server or use a Linux radius server.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Ok lastly..do i need cisco anyconnect or i can connect with ssid and will ask me user and password. Because i saw all examples they used anyconnect to connect with ssid?

Thanks

If you are going to use WPA2-Enterprise with PEAP, it will ask you for your username and password. It depends on what you configure on the Radius server.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card