Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WLC2106 AP Connected to PoE port not detected

I have a WLC 2106. It is currently working as expected over AP's that are connected via a remote PoE switch. I wish to attach an AP to one of the local PoE ports.

On a different site we have an identical WLAN controller that was setup before my time, but it is working with an AP attached to a PoE port on the controller.

I can't get this to work on the new controller.

I have read this : https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/53421/connecting-aps-directly-2106

and this : https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/44841/cisco-2100-series-wireless-lan-controllers-best-practices

and I understand that the configuration I want isn't considered best practice but it is still one I would like to use, I know that it should work as I have a currently functioning example.

From the first document I have linked I have a configuration that matched 'option 2'. I have everything assigned to port 1, AP-MANAGEMENT is untagged and has a DHCP server configured to the DHCP server for the network, and the DHCP server is on the same network as the AP-MANAGEMENT interface.

CDP ALL shows the three AP's that are on the network but not the one that is directly connected.

(Cisco Controller) >show interface summary

Interface Name                   Port Vlan Id  IP Address      Type    Ap Mgr Guest
--------------------------------     ----     -------- --------------- ------- ------ -----
ap-manager                        1    untagged 10.20.0.13      Static  Yes    No
guestwifi                              1    9        192.168.0.3     Dynamic No     No
management                       1    100      10.20.0.12      Static  No     No
virtual                                     N/A  N/A      1.1.4.1         Static  No     No

The only difference I can see between the two controllers is the software version, with the new one being 7.0.2 and the older one being 7.0.1

Any thoughts?

Everyone's tags (1)
3 REPLIES

Hi.First you need to make

Hi.

First you need to make sure the port is enabled with power.

WLC> Config port power all enable

Then make sure the AP have an IP address, otherwise it will not make a join request.

On the AP config this:

capwap ap ip address [IP address] [mask]
capwap ap ip default-gateway [address for the gateway]
capwap ap controller ip address [management interface address on the WLC]

The AP will the join the WLC.

Both ports already show power

Both ports already show power enabled, and my user at the remote site can see the AP power up.

We have swapped a known working AP onto the PoE port and get the same issue. I have followed DHCP configuration guides for this, and would prefer to use DHCP if possible. 

Even if the IP config was wrong, I would still expect to see the AP showing up as a CDP neighbour, which is why I thought there would be some 'lower level' configuration issue at play.

Have you DHCP proxy en

Have you DHCP proxy en/disabled?

Internal WLC DHCP-server cannot be used when DHCP proxy is disabled.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content