Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WLSE and 802.11b/g Interference Detected

Hello there!

I have 60 AP-1231G units over 8 sites running WDS in conjunction with a WLSE on 2.12FC firmware. A week ago, every AP on every site went into fault mode reporting "802.11b/g Interference Detected". Not matter what I try (rebooting APs, WLSE, clearing fault, upgrade to v2.13, so on) I can't get rid of this issue... Apparently every single AP over 8 sites (located in a radius of 60 miles) detected Interference all at the same time.... ???????

Has any one seen this before and know how to deal with this?

Best Regards,

Richard

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: WLSE and 802.11b/g Interference Detected

Hi Richard,

maybe you are facing a problem with CSCsd63242:

Symptom:

If the 'Fault Severity' of the "Interference Detection" settings under Network Wide IDS settings, is modified, and later if APs are moved from the 'Default IDS profile' to any other newly created IDS profile, the interference faults that are raised

on those APs, are not raised with the correct severity that the user modified. For example, if one enables this setting and changes the fault severity to P3, and if some APs are moved from the 'Default IDS profile' to a new IDS profile, when the faul

ts are raised on these APs, the severity wouldn't be P3, but would be P1- the original severity of the fault.

Whereas, had the APs not been moved from the 'Default IDS profile' to any other profile, the faults raised would have been with correct severity - P3.

Conditions:

This will happen in all pre 2.13.1 releases of WLSE, and only when the APs are moved to IDS profiles which are created new, or (are moved) to copies of IDS profiles which are created new. This will not happen when all the APs either belong to

the 'Default IDS profile' or are moved to copies of the 'Default IDS profile'.

Workaround:

Modify the fault severity first. Then copy the the 'Default IDS Profile' to new ones and modify them in whatever way. Now, even if APs are assigned to these profiles, the correct severity will be used when the fault will be raised. Now, once the co

pies are created, don't modify the severity ever again! If you do, the new severity will be used only for the faults raised on APs belonging to the 'Default IDS profile', but the old severity will be used for the faults raised on APs belonging to the

copied IDS profiles.

Also, don't create new IDS profiles and assign devices to them, always create copies from the 'Default IDS profile'.

Further Problem Description:

The 'Network wide IDS settings' are supposed to be independent of any IDS profile. But, they are not behaving in this way. For more details, see workaround section above.

The problem is resolved in release 2.13.1 and wouldn't occurr even if the APs are assigned to newly created profiles (they don't have to be copies of the 'Default IDS Profile'). The upgrade scenarion is also taken care of - If this problem was faced

in releases prev to 2.13.1, when WLSE is upgraded from rel 2.13 to 2.13.1, this defect wouldn't occurr again.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Frank

Silver

Hi Richard,

i am glad that the hints solved your problem.

The only way to backout this is to push the 2.13.1 again into the repository. The 2.13 patch deleted any release date after himself.

Just hav a try!

;-)

Btw, please rate the helpful posts.

:-D

Best regards,

Frank

5 REPLIES
Silver

Hi Richard,

maybe you are facing a problem with CSCsd63242:

Symptom:

If the 'Fault Severity' of the "Interference Detection" settings under Network Wide IDS settings, is modified, and later if APs are moved from the 'Default IDS profile' to any other newly created IDS profile, the interference faults that are raised

on those APs, are not raised with the correct severity that the user modified. For example, if one enables this setting and changes the fault severity to P3, and if some APs are moved from the 'Default IDS profile' to a new IDS profile, when the faul

ts are raised on these APs, the severity wouldn't be P3, but would be P1- the original severity of the fault.

Whereas, had the APs not been moved from the 'Default IDS profile' to any other profile, the faults raised would have been with correct severity - P3.

Conditions:

This will happen in all pre 2.13.1 releases of WLSE, and only when the APs are moved to IDS profiles which are created new, or (are moved) to copies of IDS profiles which are created new. This will not happen when all the APs either belong to

the 'Default IDS profile' or are moved to copies of the 'Default IDS profile'.

Workaround:

Modify the fault severity first. Then copy the the 'Default IDS Profile' to new ones and modify them in whatever way. Now, even if APs are assigned to these profiles, the correct severity will be used when the fault will be raised. Now, once the co

pies are created, don't modify the severity ever again! If you do, the new severity will be used only for the faults raised on APs belonging to the 'Default IDS profile', but the old severity will be used for the faults raised on APs belonging to the

copied IDS profiles.

Also, don't create new IDS profiles and assign devices to them, always create copies from the 'Default IDS profile'.

Further Problem Description:

The 'Network wide IDS settings' are supposed to be independent of any IDS profile. But, they are not behaving in this way. For more details, see workaround section above.

The problem is resolved in release 2.13.1 and wouldn't occurr even if the APs are assigned to newly created profiles (they don't have to be copies of the 'Default IDS Profile'). The upgrade scenarion is also taken care of - If this problem was faced

in releases prev to 2.13.1, when WLSE is upgraded from rel 2.13 to 2.13.1, this defect wouldn't occurr again.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Frank

Frank,

Thanks for the reply! I will attempt the workaround, although I haven't been touching the IDS profiles/settings, it sounds like this is what is going on.

I started the upgrade from 2.12FC to 2.13. I then applied the patch WLSE-2.13-CSCse02049. The option to apply 2.13.1 is no longer present in "Install Software Updates"! Not sure how I managed that....

Best Regards,

Richard

Silver

Hi Richard,

try this link:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/wlan-sol-eng

There you will see the 2.13.1 Updates.

Of course they need a cco-login.

Best regards,

Frank

Frank,

I have previously downloaded the 2.13.1 update from that link and loaded it into the repository. I can see it there using "Browse Repository" - it just no longer appears (yep, it used to...) once I loaded the WLSE-2.13-CSCse02049 patch... Is there any way to back out this patch so I can load the 2.13.1 update?

BTW, thanks for the help, the bug description you posted has resolved the interference issue.

Best Regards,

Richard

Silver

Hi Richard,

i am glad that the hints solved your problem.

The only way to backout this is to push the 2.13.1 again into the repository. The 2.13 patch deleted any release date after himself.

Just hav a try!

;-)

Btw, please rate the helpful posts.

:-D

Best regards,

Frank

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content