Views
Helpful
Replies

WLSE & WDS

lloyd_andrew
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I need some clarification. Is WDS mandatory for WLSE??

I have a client with 120+ AP's and they are using WEP (ugh, i know) between their phones and the AP's. Can I take two of these AP's and configure them as WDS?? If so, what do I need to do on the AP's??

Thanks much guys!!

3 Replies 3

jakew
Level 1
Level 1

You don't need WDS for WLSE to do config and firmware management, most faults, and most reporting. However, if you want to use the advanced solution features like radio management, rogue AP detection, wireless IDS, real-time client tracking, and fast secure roaming with 802.1x, you'll need WDS.

If you decide you want to go with AP-based WDS, you need to configure at least 1 AP per subnet to run WDS. That "subnet" refers to the management network for the APs. The max number of APs that can be supported per AP-based WDS is 60 and that assumes the WDS host is a dedicated device.

This document describes the configuration process:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_technical_reference_book09186a00803b598c.html

HTH,

Jake

Thanks Jake, I think that answered my question.

Jake,

Do you know what gets backed up when performing a backup from the WLSE?? My client wants to be able to backup the backed up configs (backup the backup mentality) and I can't seem to find a clear answer online. Specfically, do the configs from the archive get backed up??

Thanks!!

-LLoyd

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: