cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLSM - layer 3 roaming - dhcp re lease when reassociation

robetrem
Level 1
Level 1

Doing open authentication using WLSM with the same netword Id over many 1221AG access point. So using basic layer 3 roaming.

Reassociation occured often without any movement of the PC causing the renewing of the DHCP lease. That renewing problem cause a steady ping to lost about 5 ping, worst than that: PPTP is broken !!

Is that a problem ? The AP WDS approach(layer 2 roaming) don't seem to cause that specific problem.

2 Replies 2

simonstoll
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Robetrem

The roaming usualy has nothing to do with the wlsm, it's either the client or the ap which disconnects. Either because the singnal strengt is to low, or the packet loss is to high, or the max retry is reached.

I also have a redundant wlsm topology with a lot of 1231 ap's, and I don't experience such problems if all the mentioned factors are met. Usualy you can see the reassociaton cause on the ap (term mon) or in the client driver GUI.

Simon

Hi Simon,

So if I understand well what you are saying it is not the reassociation that cause the IP address release and renew (Windows XP complain on the lost of the connectivity!) but more a disconnect happening ? Where we experimented that is when my Wireless adapter receive many signals from different AP which are all around the same level, 15 DB.

On the AP, we have the message that the client have leave !

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card