cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WPA2 configuration on Aironet 1042N

kerryjcox
Level 1
Level 1

Just started at a new job and had three new Cisco Aironet 1042Ns thrown at me and asked to configure them.  They are running the latest software; C1040 Software (C1140-K9W7-M), Version 12.4(25d)JA1.  I had no issues configuring them with no security and with WEP, but would very much like to avoid this and configure WPA or better WPA2.

The settings for WPA under the web-based interface require a RADIUS server, which we do not have.  Are there any instructions on the Cisco site (or elsewhere) that explain how to configure WPA2 for added security on a Aironet 1042N without using a RADIUS server for authentication?  It just seems to me that these enterprise-level WAPs should be able to do the same as any of the commodity wireless APs and provide extra security.

Thanks in advance.

KJ

3 Replies 3

kerryjcox
Level 1
Level 1

Or, is it possible to have the Cisco Aironet authenticate against a local LDAP or Microsoft Active Directory server?  That would seem to be the most logical of all choices.  But a nice secure, and strong, WPA2 key would be the preferable method.

Appreciate any suggestions or links.

Kerry

Has anyone had any success setting up WPA (v1 or v2) on a Cisco 1042n AP?

I really do not want to use WEP.  Any suggestions?

Kerry

Try to reference this document for wpa v1 or v2 for preshared key.  If you want to use AD, you need to implement a radius server.  Start out with wpa2 psk first and then if you get that going, then try 802.1x.  Requires the use of certificates on the radius.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008054339e.shtml

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card