Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Archive Questions

I was wondering what the best practices are when it comes to archives and I’m not sure I understand archive settings such as loop length vs expiration, etc.

Full disclaimer: we are running 6.3.2 so I know we are out-of-date, but I’m unsure when we will get to update, so I’d like to fix things now if I can.

What our security department would like, if possible, is a 2 week loop, which then is recorded over.  I think on some of our stuff, it was initially set up wrong.  One question is, what does the expiration date do?  My understanding from another post is that if you are looping, the expiration does nothing, is that correct? So in other words, I would put nothing on “Keep on server after recording is finished” because it never finishes (or would it be set to forever?)

Also, some of the offending archives are set up as 1 hour loops, so to remedy this (in 6.3.2 anyway), I guess I would need to create a new archive.  Can I do this while the other one is running (Just name it <archive2>)? Or do I just delete the old one?  I just want to make sure while I’m “fiddling around” I don’t mess anything up and lose footage.

And finally (for now).  Say you have a location and your security department would like X number of days looping.  How do you find out what will work?  Obviously you have a limited amount of space, how do you determine what number of days your media server can handle, or do you just set it to something and if it gets full, know that you need to go back and tweak it by creating new archives with shorter loops?  I think in some cases what was done for us is we had a media server that was filling up, so certain low traffic areas were changed to motion detection only, decreasing the recording space needed for those feeds vastly. 

Sorry for the questions that I’m sure are very basic to some of you, I just want to make sure going forward I know how to do things and understand the settings.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Archive Questions

Hi,

1) Expiration date means how long the archive will stay on the server after it is stopped. Since you are doing loops it's pretty irrelevant. For consistancy though in case you ever do have a business reason to stop an archive, if your loop is 2 weeks set the expiration at 2 weeks as well (or the closest option to 2 weeks).

2) Yes, intentional or not you can have multiple archives going for the same camera. So start the new archive, stop the 1 hour one, and remove that one hour one whenever you feel like it.

3) There are a number of storage calculators online to help "size" resolution and quality vs storage space like this one

http://www.dvrsystems.net/CCTV%20Hard%20Drive%20Space%20Calculator.htm

Recording strictly on motion is an option if allowable in your jurisdiction, but is a little scary IMO. You are betting that the motion trigger will always fire (in all lighting conditions in all seasons). One strategy which we use here is the Primary stream is in high resolution and high quality and records strictly on motion to save space. Then we have the secondary stream at much lower resoltion and very low frame rate continuously recording just in case the primary ever misses something.

4 REPLIES

Archive Questions

Hi,

1) Expiration date means how long the archive will stay on the server after it is stopped. Since you are doing loops it's pretty irrelevant. For consistancy though in case you ever do have a business reason to stop an archive, if your loop is 2 weeks set the expiration at 2 weeks as well (or the closest option to 2 weeks).

2) Yes, intentional or not you can have multiple archives going for the same camera. So start the new archive, stop the 1 hour one, and remove that one hour one whenever you feel like it.

3) There are a number of storage calculators online to help "size" resolution and quality vs storage space like this one

http://www.dvrsystems.net/CCTV%20Hard%20Drive%20Space%20Calculator.htm

Recording strictly on motion is an option if allowable in your jurisdiction, but is a little scary IMO. You are betting that the motion trigger will always fire (in all lighting conditions in all seasons). One strategy which we use here is the Primary stream is in high resolution and high quality and records strictly on motion to save space. Then we have the secondary stream at much lower resoltion and very low frame rate continuously recording just in case the primary ever misses something.

Archive Questions

Thank you for your reply.  So if I stop my existing archive and create a new one, my old one will stay there til it meets its expiration date?

Also, in regards to the space issue, are there any general guidelines as to how much available space you should use?  I would think (unless you are doing something like motion capture) that once you got your archives set up, the amount of space used would be pretty consistent, but I may not be accounting for all factors.

Archive Questions

That is correct it will stay until it expires.

Archives will remain pretty consistant in size if you are using CBR. With VBR they also won't vary much unless activity varies dramtically seasonally or something like that.

Archive Questions

Thank you Jason for the information.  I was glad to hear that our upgrade to the latest version of VSOM just got approved, so I suppose I'll wait to do much tinkering til after we are on the current version since I've heard it is a good improvement.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content