cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Automatic door swing via ADA paddle

Mike Brown
Level 1
Level 1

I would appreciate some input on this project.

The short story is we are trying to integrate ADA paddles into an existing door.

The facts:

We have an Horton automatic door opener with 2 wireless ADA paddles (1 inside and 1 outside) on a door that has an electric strike currently connected to CPAM.   The door/strike function correctly as a reader with a single output to the strike.

IMG_20120412_150612.jpg IMG_20120412_150532.jpg

There is an automatic/off/open switch that is shut off nightly to protect the motor from burning out if someone uses the paddles while the electronic strike is locked. 

IMG_20120412_150716.jpg

We have 2x of these wireless receivers (so we can seperate the inputs):  IMG_20120412_144751.jpg

Which connects to the PCB of the Horton: 

IMG_20120412_145356.jpg

The off/auto/open switch also connects in the same area, it is the larger black/white cables.

Now for what we want to accomplish…

1.       We never want to have to use the off/auto/open switch again.

2.       If someone presses the exterior paddle after hours (without presenting a badge first) the motor will not try to open the door.

3.       If someone presses the interior paddle after hours (no interior reader) CPAM will emergency override and unlock the strike and the motor will also open the door.

4.       If someone presents a badge on the (exterior) reader after hours and then presses the paddle the motor will automatically open the door.  We can use the ADA multiplier to give them time to press the paddle since it’s not near the reader.

Immediate thoughts/ideas…

1. Run a 2 wire from the outside wireless receiver on the COM & NO terminals (white/green) to I/P1 on the Gateway
  2. Run a 2 wire from the inside wireless receiver on the COM & NO terminals (white/green) to I/P2 on the Gateway
  3. Run a 2 wire from the PCB on the Horton (where the ADA paddles are currently hard wired) back to O/P2 on the Gateway.
    1. O/P1 is connected to the strike.

Here is where things get fuzzy...

1. I could setup I/P1&2 as generic input devices
  2. Then I could setup O/P2 as a generic output.
  3. Create a Global I/O for the rules...

I've done a dry run on this a few times.  When I test by shorting the input - my output does not flash indicating it is closing the circuit.

1. I do see a door swing activation/usage on my door template that is greyed out.  I could bring a temp gateway online to test if necessary.  This door is in production and of course the downtime needs to be minimal while incorperating the ADA paddles.

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

-Mike

0 Replies 0