Views
Helpful
Replies

Console Port Locks

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I posted this question on a different Support Community Colunm but, thought I might have better luck here.

I was wondering if there was any kind of console port locks I could purchase. We have some switches that are not secured in a closet in our environment and I would like to lock the console ports. I know I've seen locks for ethernet switchports but, I was wondering if they sold locks for console ports. And could the ethernet switchport locks work fine on a console port. I'm just concerned that someone could use the break in sequence and get into our equipment.

Thanks, Pat.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Pat, this is really your best option. Im sure you know as well as I do, that if someone with our skill sets gains physical access to a device, it is a very bad thing. Put as many road blocks in the way as you can. Might I suggest even placing a camera up in this area? Even if you used a dummy-dome, this could function as a deterent from the would-be trouble maker.

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

philtraylor
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Patrick,

Depending on the size of the device you wish to secure.. you could get a lockbox for it. I have done this with switches that I had mounted on walls in a warehouse for instance. The box that I used had cooling fans and so on...

Thanks for the response Phillip but, that wouldn't be practical in our situation. How about an ethernet jack I mentioned? Would that work?

Thanks, Pat.

Let me ask my resident CCIE, he would definately know. Give me about 20.

Hey Pat,

The answer that I just got was, there isnt a way to do a physical lock on the port (much like you can with RJ45 jacks on a switch) However, you can go into the switch and do

Conf t

Line Con 0

Password ************

*is where you put the password in.

Does this help? This will prevent the break in sequence from the console port by adding a password.

I still could do a break in. The whole point of a break in is if you forgot the password, correct?

Actually yes, that is the whole point.

Honestly the best thing to do is to prevent physical access somehow. What device is this. I think I have an idea.

We have some data racks that are accessible to employees. The racks have switches and routers.

If it was a stand alone device, I would have a way to fashion a bracket around the port, blocking it. Its very crude, but it would be functional.

Not sure how this could play out in a rack.

I would still place a password on the console port, the odds of someone actually breaking in are not high, I can certainly appreciate the need to prevent it all together.

We have a console password on all our equipment but, with the ethernet locks, why wouldn't they work. The console port is the same size as a ethernet port, right?

It is the same size, RJ45 and all. Are you using panduit locks?

I'm not using any as of yet. why, what is panduit?

watch this vid, tell me what your thoughts are...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1hmeYIOmkY

I can't get it to play at work. I'll have to wait till I get home. Thanks for your help.

No problem. Let me know what happens

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: