cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CPAM 1.3.1 Global I/O Device Event, No Option for State

mark.kohlmann
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to create a Global I/O Automation Rule that is triggered by a state change on an input.  The problem is I can't figure out how to filter the event by the state of the input, I can only select the event to happen based on that input changing, not what state it changed to.  Basically I'm trying to have the system lock a door based on an alarm armed input and then unlock on an alarm disarmed.  I tried configuring a Generic Input Device but that hasn't helped me trigger the event.  I would do this with Device I/O but that won't work either as I can't pick a door action based on the input as the only thing I can trigger from a Generic Input Device is a Generic Output Device, how stupid is that???

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

6 Replies 6

derrickmunro
Level 1
Level 1

Does the lock have to be locked at all times, or only when the alarm is triggered? Also, are you talking about using an Alarm Panel to secure the building with a keypad, then using an output from that to lock doors?  I think I have an idea for either of these cases.

Will you have card access readers on these doors that you want locked?

mark.kohlmann
Level 1
Level 1

Derrick,

This is a residential application.  Still trying to fine tune exactly how the system will work but we'd likely be looking at locking/unlocking doors that have card readers (keypads) and PTEs with an alarm relay input.  If a Global I/O Automation Rule based on a Generic Input Device would let me lock or unlock a group of doors I'd be happy but all it seems to be able to do is a completely useless "Generic Output Device" event.

Thanks

Mark

I am unfamiliar with a PTE, and still a little confused as to how you want the system to work.

It sounds like you want the system to work a couple ways.

1. Alarmed door contacts, that will be shunted if a card access reader has been used.

2. An alarm system that can unlock your doors when disarmed completely.

Does this sound correct?  If so, we can make this work with device IO.

PTE=PushToExit AKA REX

Literally just need a change in state of an input to lock or unlock a door or group of doors.  Device I/O is restricted to a specific gateway.  Currently we have two separate gateways.  I may find some options that work with Device I/O but at some point I will need Global I/O.

If an input is shorted, lock doors X, Y and Z, if input is normal, unlock the doors.  This is pretty standard stuff for an access control system.

I could do this via the WSAPI but I like the idea of reducing the number of failure points by using a straight dry contact to trigger events.

Here are some screenshots on how to perform these functions in CPAM with software (global I/O).  There is a small delay with global I/O, around 3-5 seconds.

1. First go to Global I/O, then click ADD

2. Add a name for the unlock rule, then select NEW for the Trigger.

3. The trigger type will be EVENT, then click OK

4. Click EDIT FILTER, then find the area for the Log Code and click CHOOSE

5. Once in this screen select Cisco Device Events, and choose the input event you would like to trigger your locks.  (see image below)

6. Browse to devices next and click CHOOSE, and select your input. (see image below)

7. Now that the trigger is set, we need to add the action (locking or unlocking the door).

8. Click ADD then choose device command.

9. Next choose your door(s), you can select this many different ways.

10. Then go to Command, click CHOOSE and select the door command you wish to give for your device trigger. (see below)

11.  After this is done, follow the same steps and write a rule to set the door mode to locked for when the input is normal.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: