Views
Helpful
Replies

CPAM GATEWAY UPGRADE TO 1.4.1 NOT WORKING

Finbarr Rogers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have tried to upgrade a CPAM Gateway module from 1.3.2 to 1.4.1 but have a problem. This gateway will not take an upgrade file and has now stopped operating correctly. It got to the stage where it said downloading file. But never recovered. I was powering it over POE at the time and power was not interupted during the upgrade.

I have since powered it up using a PSU.

It currently has all lights down the RHS lit up, and when i cross over onto to Port Eth1 and continously ping 192.168.1.42. it seems to drop off all hte time. it pings for about 30 replies then disconnects. The SVR light comes on randomly and when it goes off the network connection dies.

I have tried a factory reset using the reset button on the side by pressing it 3 times quickly but nothing seems to happen.

When i do get a ping response i can quickly web browse to the gateway and when the login page shows it is version 1.3.2.

I cant open a TAC Case as i dont have smartnet for this customer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Finbarr                 

7 Replies 7

I have had this problem a few times before. Almost every time - I begin the upgrade process and then have to leave it alone completely for anywhere between 30 minutes to two hours. Just begin the process one afternoon, leave it plugged in and check on it the next morning and see if it still has the same issue.

Thanks Matthew. But i cant seem to get a clean connection without it dropping my link. It has been like this all day and i sent the upgrade file some 6 hrs ago.

Okay. If it is local - then it might be worth it to grab a new gateway (if you have one) and upgrade it to the new firmaware and swap them out (doing a "Replace Gateway" in the CPAM client as well). Then you can troubleshoot the faulty gateway from your desk.

I'm assuming you have been able to upgrade others this same way without any issues?

Thats the problem Matthew, I am not local and have no spares!! I have been able to upgrade other gateways with no problems. I am going to leave it powered up overnight with no network connections and "hope" that its rectifies overnght. I have had similar issues before upgrading gateways but they have usually rectified themselves in a coupl of hours at most.

Thanks again

If that doesn't work - there is a fix that Cisco had released that is an HTML file that you browse to in IE. Not sure where to get it without opening up a TAC case though.

For future reference I have had the best luck upgrading gateways using Google Chrome for the web browser. It shows the progress of the file upload in the bottom left of the web page. IE and Firefox don't give any feedback as to how far along the file is during transfer. Try this next time. As always Cisco recommends using CPAM to upgrade the gateway firmware as the preferred method.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Rekha also indicated to never upgrade directly but to use the bulk image upgrade.   I have seen some very long reset times on firmware upgrades on my demonstration units.  

There is also the 64 bit build of CPAM ..13 instead of ..11.   If you use the ..11 build an then open and close video in CPAM you can watch the memory for the Java application in the resource meter climb to 560k or so then the application crashes. Even if you close the video feed Java does not give the memory back to the workstation.  You then have to shutdown Java from task manager or you get application already running when you try to reopen same.

When using the  ...13 build,  Java will give back the memory to the workstation preventing the lockup.   I would recomend the ..13 64 bit build for stability.