cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Average Is Critical

Kim Armstead
Level 1
Level 1

I have several servers that are showing a "load average is critical" error.  In addition to the "load average" error some are displaying another error: "video-1_1.16240 core dump critical".  The number prior to "core dump critical" differs for each of them.  I read about a similar issue on virtual deployments, but all my servers are physical.  Also, I am unable (not authorized) to access the TAC noted in that discussion.

What is the fix for these errors?  There aren't any bad drives in any of the raid arrays associated with these servers.

Please help.

ka

4 Replies 4

skanwal
Level 1
Level 1

The error is related to overloading of the prtition space, Check the usage of each partition.

Login to the meda server and give df -h, or you can check this from the VSOM and checking each Media server.

This will show you the available empty space on the partitions.

Free some space and this error should go off.

The other error looks like due to some issue with the camera or the recording that has created some core dump files.

Generate a support report and check for core files.

Analyzing core files wil require TAC help.

Sangharsh, Checking partition space for the servers showing problems, I find that all are no where near 95% full (this is the level where we want to generate an alarm).  Also, I need to store 14 days of video archive to satisfy service level agreements.  So I really can't free up any space.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks.

ka

Jason Rossi
Level 1
Level 1

I have resolved this error by reducing the number of cameras managed by the server or (if possible without it being noticeable) reducing the frame rate/bitrate of some of the cameras managed by the server.

It happens when the server resources are overtaxed. You can monitor it from VSMC/hardware status. I used to have a VSOM co-located with a media server. It threw this error constantly until I moved VSOM off to a separate server. Once i did it never came up again. The I/O traffic was too high as well in that scenario.

In both cases there was plenty of disk space. But there was too much "work" for the server resources to handle.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Jason, Is there a guideline as to HOW MANY cameras a physical server can handle?  About how many cameras would you say you allow per server in your installation?  Does the combination of camera models existing on a server matter when considering this load problem or is it JUST the number of cameras that is important? 

Right now I have 20 physical media servers. Each server has approximately 50 cameras on it...maybe a few more or less on some servers. 

Here our operation is very basic...viewing/recording live video and storing 14 days of video archive.  We aren't doing anything with analytics at the moment. 

I'm somewhat hesitant to simply begin moving cameras around.  The cameras are relatively evenly distributed.  I really wouldn't know where to begin.  I would also be concerned that lightening the load on one server would simply add the load to another server. 

Any assistance you could offer would be appreciated.

Thank you,

ka