Views
Helpful
Replies

MSP-2RU without preconfigured OS

anthic.lobo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a MSP-2RU without any OS configured.

After installing the VSOM from the CD, the vsmc said no valid partions in the repository columns.

Any idea how to fix this issue?

7 Replies 7

John Gillich
Level 1
Level 1

You need to configure the following partitions on your OS.

• 10 GB for the “/” partition
  • 100 MB for the “/boot” partition
  • 1 GB* for the Swap partition
  • The remainder of the drive should be placed in a partition for repositories called the “/media0” partition

*The amount of space set aside for the SWAP partition should be equal the amount of RAM that installed on the server (e.g. 1GB RAM = 1GB SWAP, 2GB RAM = 2GB SWAP).

Also see attached guides for the OS you are using.

ajuarez
Level 1
Level 1

Download the VSM 6.3. or 421/621 ISO recovery image from the Cisco Emerging Tech web site.

Did you correctly configure the MegaRAID beforehand (see attached)?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for ur inputs.

I did the Raid configuration as per the document, however while installation of the OS i got an error.

It says error while loading GRUB. I igonred the message, but looks like the installtion was not complete.

Which GRUB error number did you get (see here)?

twice i got

Error 19 : "Loading below 1MB is not supported"

and once

Error 7:Attempt to access block outside partition

I  had tried to do fress installations on 3 ocassions.

Hi Anthic,

Please verify that you downloaded, burned to DVD and are installing the VSM 6.3 Recovery DVD from this link:

http://www.ciscoet.com/files/vsm63-final-unifiedMSP-recovery-370.iso

Unlike previous versions of the VSM Recovery DVD, the 6.3 version, when used with the FACTORY option (type FACTORY to do a factory install) will wipe your RAID configuration and recreate it for you.

The 2 GRUB errors you mention when considered together could be explained by not having the correct boot and root partition configured, though they could also be explained by a bad physical disk.  If you were already using the FACTORY option with the 6.3 recovery DVD we need to look at other possible solutions.

19 : "Loading below 1MB is not supported"

This error is returned if the lowest address in a kernel is below the 1MB boundary. The Linux zImage format is a special case and can be handled since it has a fixed loading address and maximum size.

7 : "Attempt to access block outside partition"

This error is returned if a linear block address is outside of the disk partition. This generally happens because of a corrupt filesystem on the disk or a bug in the code handling it in GRUB (it's a great debugging tool).