cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Possible to view VSOM 6.3.2 on IE 11?

jwood.ok
Level 1
Level 1

We are (hopefully) upgrading VSOM at some point in the future, but at this point we are on 6.3.2.  I was able to access VSOM fine with IE 10, but now I'm running Windows 8.1 so I don't have that as an option.  I've had a heart time getting video working in it, though I can still get to the Admin panel.  I was wondering if anyone had gotten it working and had any tips?  I had been holding on to my old Windows 7 machine because of that but would like to move on if possible.

7 Replies 7

Vishnu Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jwood.mls,

I see that you know about various IE versions which are compatible with VSOM 6.3.2 and ideally IE11 is not supported. Officially if it is not supported then you cannot get help on it however I have another way around. You can test it and let me know if it helped at all.

You can try to run IE11 in compatibility mode. How to do this is mentioned below:

1. Open IE 11.

2. Click on tool icon (or settings icon)

3. Click on "F12 Developer Tools"

4. It will then open a small window which will have several icons on the left hand side of the screen.

5. Look for the icon with monitor and CPU and click on it. There you will get an option "User Agent Screen" Click on the drop down menu and then select the IE version on which you want to work.

For those who are facing the same issue in IE10, they can follow these steps:

1. Open up Internet Explorer 10

2. Press ‘Alt’ key on your keyboard to bring up the top menu. And then go to Tools > Developer Tools. 

Or you can directly go to Tools > Developer Tools

3. This will bring up the IE developer tools which looks just like the one in Google Chrome at the bottom.

You can then click ‘Browser Mode’ and then click on the Internet Explorer version you want to simulate. It will give you options like IE7, IE8, IE9 etc.. You can also set the document mode to quirks mode or standards mod from the next drop down .

Give it a shot and let me know if this worked.

Thanks,

Vishnu Sharma

Vishnu

Thanks for your reply.  It would appear my issue isn't so much an IE one as a Windows one.  When I try to install the video surveillance client, I get errors when trying to register the dll's.  It is a bit puzzling because it worked fine on Windows 7 64 bit, and this is Windows 8.1 64 bit, so I'm not certain where the difference is causing the problem. I think if I can get the DLL registered, then it will work fine even in IE.  Here is the error I'm receiving.

I also get this error afterwards:

If compatibility mode does not work for you may also try to disable VMR within the admin settings.

If you are in VSOM 6.3.x you can go to Admin>Settings and look for VMR. Uncheck it. This used to happen to us alot and we discovered that when it is enabled it keeps some active x controls from installing or working properly.

What exactly does disabling VMR do?

VMR (Video Mixing Renderer) is what enables you to have digital zoom, motion configuration and other video options. By disabling this feature you will greatly improve the performance on your workstations. We had to run it without VMR enabled until we moved to v.7.x.

Here is more detailed info on VMR and what is impacted when disabled.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/physical_security/video_surveillance/network/vsm/release_notes/6_3/vsm_rn_63.html#wp79610

I see.  So if I disable it to test and figure out I need it on for some reason, is it as simple as checking it back or are there any settings that would have to be reconfigured at that point?

jwood.ok
Level 1
Level 1

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: