Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading VSMS 6.2 and VSOM 4.2

panayiotiscy
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all

We are about to upgrade 5 x 4 RU VSMS (currently 6.2) and VSOM (installed at one of the VSMS ver 4.2) to the latest version.

I ve been through the documentation about installing and upgrading  CVSM 6.3 but i'm not feeling comfortable enough in order to start the upgrade procedure.

First of all, is it safe to upgrade directly to 6.3 from 6.2?

Second, the current packages installed are:

Cisco_VSBWT-6.2.0-16d
Cisco_VSBase-6.2.0-15d
Cisco_VSDocs-6.2.0-15d
Cisco_VSDrivers-6.2.0-15d
Cisco_VSMS-6.2.0-15d
Cisco_VSOM-4.2.0-12
Cisco_VSRecorder-6.2.0-15d
Cisco_VSTools-6.2-15
Cisco_VSVM-6.2.0-15

As i understand, i need to uninstall each one of them and replace them with the new installation under version 6.3

And,what about mysql? Will the above procedure cause any unpredictable issues?

Last, it will be really handy if there was a procedure that would upgrade all the installed cameras centrally, instead of doing this to each one individually!

In general! Has anyone of you been through this procedure before? Any feedback,field notes are more than welcomed!

Looking forward for your replies!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sean Merrow
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

You can most certainly upgrade from 4.2/6.2 directly to 6.3.  The Installing and Upgrading document is good, and as long as it is followed precisely, you shouldn't run into any problems.  I see failed or partially failed upgrade cases come in now and then, and almost everytime, it is because one of the serveral steps was overlooked.  It is not hard to miss a step.

As you already know, you can find the upgrade manual here.  Below are some tips that will hopefully give you a little more confidence to make the leap.

• Make sure that you perform the steps to Upgrade, not install.  The upgrade precedure is outlined at the bottom of the document.
  • Step 1 is a good idea, so be sure to perform your backups first.
  • Step 2 is simply stopping your services, which will obviously stop the camera feeds, archiving, etc.
  • Step 3 is just removing any Java rpms.  You'll install the one that comes with 6.3 later.
  • Step 4 is simply verifying that you've removed the Java
  • Step 5 just allows you to see all the rpms that are installed and contain Cisco in their names.
  • Step 6 calls for you to remove each one.  You can actually combine the command in step 5 with the command in step 6 to remove all the Cisco rpm files in one command:

rpm -qa | grep -i cisco | xargs rpm -e

The above command will first list all rpms with cisco in the name (-i means case insensitive) and pass all the names to rpm -e which removes them all.

• Step 7 is to follow steps 1 thorugh 6 of the installation.  Here,  you reinstall your Java from the rpm that comes with 6.3.  You'll verify the symbolic link for java is properly configured, and then you will install all of the 6.3 rpms.  Assuming you've extracted all of your VSM rpm files into a single directory, you can install all of them in a single command as follows:

rpm -ivh Cisco_*.rpm

IMPORTANT:  At this time you need to go back to the upgrade process.  DO NOT proceed to step 7 of the installation steps.  Remember, you are doing an upgrade ;- )

• Step 8 is where you will update the MySQL database.  Note that if you went onto the next step in the install, you would've created the database. 
  • Step 9 is to restart the services

/etc/init.d/cisco start

When finished, I like to add two more commands for verification:

/etc/init.d/cisco status

vscheck

If there are any processes that aren't running after the first command, then try restarting them with the following command:

/etc/init.d/cisco restart

The vscheck command will show you the installed files and should now all show 6.3

I hope this helps you feel a little more comfortable with your upgrade.

Thanks,

Sean

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Sean Merrow
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

You can most certainly upgrade from 4.2/6.2 directly to 6.3.  The Installing and Upgrading document is good, and as long as it is followed precisely, you shouldn't run into any problems.  I see failed or partially failed upgrade cases come in now and then, and almost everytime, it is because one of the serveral steps was overlooked.  It is not hard to miss a step.

As you already know, you can find the upgrade manual here.  Below are some tips that will hopefully give you a little more confidence to make the leap.

• Make sure that you perform the steps to Upgrade, not install.  The upgrade precedure is outlined at the bottom of the document.
  • Step 1 is a good idea, so be sure to perform your backups first.
  • Step 2 is simply stopping your services, which will obviously stop the camera feeds, archiving, etc.
  • Step 3 is just removing any Java rpms.  You'll install the one that comes with 6.3 later.
  • Step 4 is simply verifying that you've removed the Java
  • Step 5 just allows you to see all the rpms that are installed and contain Cisco in their names.
  • Step 6 calls for you to remove each one.  You can actually combine the command in step 5 with the command in step 6 to remove all the Cisco rpm files in one command:

rpm -qa | grep -i cisco | xargs rpm -e

The above command will first list all rpms with cisco in the name (-i means case insensitive) and pass all the names to rpm -e which removes them all.

• Step 7 is to follow steps 1 thorugh 6 of the installation.  Here,  you reinstall your Java from the rpm that comes with 6.3.  You'll verify the symbolic link for java is properly configured, and then you will install all of the 6.3 rpms.  Assuming you've extracted all of your VSM rpm files into a single directory, you can install all of them in a single command as follows:

rpm -ivh Cisco_*.rpm

IMPORTANT:  At this time you need to go back to the upgrade process.  DO NOT proceed to step 7 of the installation steps.  Remember, you are doing an upgrade ;- )

• Step 8 is where you will update the MySQL database.  Note that if you went onto the next step in the install, you would've created the database. 
  • Step 9 is to restart the services

/etc/init.d/cisco start

When finished, I like to add two more commands for verification:

/etc/init.d/cisco status

vscheck

If there are any processes that aren't running after the first command, then try restarting them with the following command:

/etc/init.d/cisco restart

The vscheck command will show you the installed files and should now all show 6.3

I hope this helps you feel a little more comfortable with your upgrade.

Thanks,

Sean

Hi Sean,

I must admit that your answer has exceeded my expectations !

I would like to thank you for spending your time answering to my doubts.

It's time to get ready then and proceed with the upgrade.

I will come back on this if anything unusual (i hope not) comes up!

Once more,thank you

Hi Sean,

Happy new year to everybody!

As i am preparing for the upgrade to 6.3.1 i still have some questions:

1) i'm downloading the required RPM file from cisco but i'm not able to find the 6.3.1 version of the following ones:

a) Cisco_VSBWT-6.2.0-16d
b)Cisco_VSBase-6.2.0-15d

c)Cisco_VSDocs-6.2.0-15d

d)Cisco_VSDrivers-6.2.0-15d

e)Cisco_VSRecorder-6.2.0-15d
f) Cisco_VSTools-6.2-15

2) I can only find the new versions for these:
Cisco_VSMS-6.2.0-15d
Cisco_VSOM-4.2.0-15

Cisco_VSVM-6.2.0-15

So, maybe the ones missing are not needed anymore or shall i use some older versions of them (such as 6.3) ???

Thanking you

Hello,

Cisco_VSMS-6.3.1-21d_sles10-sp1.zip contains the files below. Depending on your OS you can download the VSMS package from http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=281550158&flowid=7133&softwareid=281933881&release=6.3.1&rellifecycle=&relind=AVAILABLE&reltype=latest

Cisco_Tomcat-6.0.18-2.noarch.rpm

Cisco_VSBase-6.3.1-21d-sles10-sp1-i686.rpm

Cisco_VSBWT-6.3.1-12.noarch.rpm

Cisco_VSDocs-6.3.1-21d-noarch.rpm

Cisco_VSDrivers-6.3.1-21d-sles10-sp1-i686.rpm

Cisco_VSMS-6.3.1-21d-sles10-sp1-i686.rpm

Cisco_VSRecorder-6.3.1-21d-sles10-sp1-i686.rpm

Cisco_VSTools-6.3.1-21.noarch.rpm

jre-6u17-linux-i586.rpm

MD5SUMS

upgrade_main.sh

vsm_install_upgrade.pdf

Best Regards
Necati Cehreli

Hi Necati,

That makes sense now, i will just download the VSMS-6.3.1-21d_sles10-sp1.zip along with the VSOM,VSVM rpr and initiate the upgrade!

Thank you for your prompt reply