Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade(Migration) from UPM 8.5 to CPCP 9.5

iantra123
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I'm planning to upgrade from UPM 8.5 to CPCP 9.5.

Is there any direct path to upgrade for this? i.e upgrade to UPM 8.7, then backup, install a fresh 9.5, and restore?

I'm asking this because for the upgrade to 9.5, i cannot find the document to upgrade from UPM 8.7 to CPCP 9.5, on the CPCP9.5 page.

Regards,

Antra

3 Replies 3

Anthony Gerbic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Antra,

Sorry for the delay, I just discovered I am not getting notifications from the forum any more. Seemed really quiet for the last month...

Cannot directly upgrade from UPM 8.6. It is almost seven revs behind.

You need to get to either UPM 8.7 or UPM 9.0. Your licensing allows you to go to either. You will need to download the upgrade from CCO for the later version of UPM.

Once you have upgraded UPM you will be able to migrate to PCP.  Before starting the migration, make user UPM is fully synced with the UC apps and there are no outstanding orders in the system. Another tip is to go through your Subscriber Roles and make sure you only specify phone models you want to provision, and remove any excess Subscriber roles you are not using. When you move to PCP 10.x, PCP will try to auto create Service Templates and will build based on all endpoints in the Subscriber Roles.

Most people use the PASS program to do an upgrade. Essentially you will buy PASS (like UCSS) and it will allow you to download and upgrade to any version of PCP. I would not bother upgrading to PCP 9.5 but would rather upgrade to PCP 10.5 or the upcoming 10.5.1 release in a few weeks. To get there will take a couple of jumps. Start with the migration script for UPM. It will backup the database, ipt.properties files and licenses. You can then install PCP 9.5 (I would suggest you install as an eval, not standard), copy the backup to the PCP VM and run the PCP restore script which will migrate your UPM database and files to PCP.  The next jump would be to jump to PCP 10.5. This involves a version upgrade you can get from PUT. When you get this upgrade, get your new PCP 10.x base license from PUT as well. You will also have to get the scale upgrade licenses to migrate the old UPM scale licenses to PCP 10.x.

Something commonly forgotten is that the old UPM licenses will have to be rehosted to match the MAC of the new PCP VM if you don't reuse a VM with the same MAC. This would be the last thing to do and when done PCP will match up any old scale you had with the upgrade licenses and the endpoint counter should reflect the migrated scale. 

Sorry for all the text but I wanted to give you a complete answer to get from 8.6 to 10.5. Don't waste your time just upgrading to a 9.x PCP, go all the way to 10.5 or 10.5.1. The only reason to use 9.5 is if you are managing pre 8.0 CUCM clusters.

Regards

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

We've upgraded to the 8.7, then ran the MigrationBackup.

Result: the script doesn't export the database. :(
We asked TAC to resolve it.
Then TAC made some actions on the UPM8.7

After that we've ran the MigrationRestoreScript. Result: Error. :(

We asked TAC to resolve it again. Spent 4 days.

Regards,

Antra

Would like to think TAC would have escalated it after their first attempt to get this solved. Did you request escalation? If you are stuck, please ask to escalate.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: