Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1720 Router, Dynamic WAN IP, and Port Forwarding

I have a 1720 Modular access Router, a WIC-1ENET interface card, and a 24-port Dell PowerConnect switch. I have residential cable internet service with a dynamically assiged IP address. I would like to configure my router to allow basic internet connectivity as well as forward several ports to my web server to allow the hosting of a few services such as HTTP, FTP, and remote desktop. Basically, I would like to know if this configuration is even possible with my current service and equipment.

Any suggestions and/or feedback is greatly appriciated.

3 REPLIES
Purple

Re: 1720 Router, Dynamic WAN IP, and Port Forwarding

What you are asking for is certainly possible using a feature called Network Address Translation. I suggest you go through the following document:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cg/hiad_c/ch20/ntbaddrs.htm

Pls do rate the post if it helps.

Paresh

Thanks for the article...it's very detailed. I have used NAT on my older residential gateway (Netgear RT311). I may be misreading the article, but it seems as though a port on an internal IP address can only be "linked" to a IP address on the external interface. Since I have a dynamically assigned IP from my ISP, I would need to translate a port to the external interface itself rather than the IP address. Do you know if there is an IOS command that allows for this?

Thanks again for the link.

Purple

You can do this to achieve that:

ip nat inside source static tcp 10.1.1.1 80 interface serial0 80

(replace the IP and port with the ones you require)

I've used the above on a 1721 and it works quite well.

Pls do remember to rate the posts.

Paresh.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content