cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2511 Unable to change routers after initial connection.

FSoto
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I have been reading this forum for days and have tried many of the solutions to similar problems. Unfortunately I have yet to find a solution to my problem. Here is the Issue, I am able to connect to the 2511-rj. I can connect fine via telnet and or serial interface. Once connected I type the host-name of the switch that I want to connect to and the server does his job and connects me. The problem is that once I am connected to a switch I am unable to return back to the server with Control-**bleep**-6 and if I enter the host-name of another switch, I am not transferred to the second switch. 

I get the following message;

sw1>sw2
Translating "sw2"
% Unknown command or computer name, or unable to find computer address

I hope that someone is able to point me on the right direction.

Thanks!

My Config file;

Current configuration:
!
version 12.0
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
service password-encryption
!
hostname TermServ
!
enable secret 5 $1$0GcE$zQ1Cph2gwf/.IVcoJ.$3wr
!
ip subnet-zero
no ip domain-lookup
ip host R1 2001 10.1.1.1
ip host R2 2002 10.1.1.1
ip host R3 2003 10.1.1.1
ip host SW1 2004 10.1.1.1
ip host SW2 2005 10.1.1.1
ip host SW3 2006 10.1.1.1
!
!
!
interface Loopback0
ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
no ip directed-broadcast
!
interface Ethernet0
ip address 192.168.1.200 255.255.255.0
no ip directed-broadcast
!
interface Serial0
no ip address
no ip directed-broadcast
no ip mroute-cache
shutdown
no fair-queue
!
ip classless
!
!
line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
password 7 05310F1C8564
login
transport input telnet
line 1 16
no exec
exec-timeout 20 0
transport input all
transport output none
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
password 7 045963250C2E
login
transport input telnet
!
end

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

1- Try "ctl-shift-6" then "x" to jump out of an existing telnet session and back to the server.

2- The reason you can't jump from sw1 to sw2 is probably because you don't have the ip hosts defined in sw1.

Hope this helps 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

1- Try "ctl-shift-6" then "x" to jump out of an existing telnet session and back to the server.

2- The reason you can't jump from sw1 to sw2 is probably because you don't have the ip hosts defined in sw1.

Hope this helps 

Thanks for the prompt reply, I have tried control-shift-6, then X to no avail. I have the ip of the hosts setup to that of the loop back interface. All of the configurations I have seen appear to be set up that way, should I do that differently?

Thanks

Using the loopback interface is fine.

I just tested on a 2811 I have and verified control-shift-6 then X gets you back to the server. However the 2511 is pretty old but I don't recall it being any different. Have you tried control + C or control + ESC?

It should not make any difference whether you use the loopback interface address of the address of a physical interface. Either should work just fine. It has been a very long time since I worked with a 2511 but my memory is very clear that shift/ctrl/6 should get back to the term server prompt and x should terminate the session.

I am not clear why it is not working. The config looks mostly ok. I wonder a bit about the setting for transport

transport input all
transport output none

you might put them back to default settings and see if that makes any difference.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the suggestions, I finally figured out the problem.  I was pressing control-shift-6 followed by X. Instead what I needed to do was press control-shift-6 release and then press X.  I thank you for helping me troubleshoot the issue, sorry that it was an operator error.

Regards,

Ferdinand

Ferdinand

Glad to know that you got it figured out. That key sequence is what I was trying to describe but was perhaps not specific enough about the need to release the first set of keys before typing x. These forums are excellent places to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the forums.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I will be spending some time in the forum, I am currently working towards the CCNA. Thanks for the warm welcome.