Views
Helpful
Replies

3650 Front panel LEDs programming /reading

m-geisler
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is it possible to control the front panel LEDs via CLI/HTTP/(TCL?/Python?) or to read the current status?

I've got some configured, but unlabled 3650 in a ring and want to find out which switch is which without pulling cables.

The only other idea I had was configuring one additional port and check all of them. :(

Thanks for your ideas

Mike

6 Replies 6

Hello,

I have checked for some sort of OID that lets you read out the front panel LED status, but could not find one. Device Manager (accessible through a web browser by using the switch management IP address) gives you a visual display of the switch and all ports/LEDs, not sure if that is what you are looking for ?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help, and maybe I was not clear what I need.

I am looking for a way to identify an individual Switch (not in a stack).

My problem: Someone cabled and configured a set of switches, but did not affix a lable. The cabling is identical for all switches.

Is there a way to make one switch raise its hand? Without rebooting or using the console port (the switches are not at my location).

The only way I found is configuring the same interface on each switch for DHCP and let the technician plug in and report the IP.

Thanks

Mike

Hello Mike,

'show switch stack-member-number' and 'session switch stack-member-number' shows and lets you access individual stack members. I guess if you hop from switch to switch, you can figure out the topology. Can you at least remotely access the stack ?

Hi Paul,

thanks again.

My problem is:

which physical box is which remote session?

I can cli to all boxes but I don't know on which physical device I am! As in is this prompt the third switch from the left or the eight from the right?

Mike

Mike,

maybe running online diagnostics (see the attached document) on each switch could help identify each one. Provided you have somebody onsite who monitors the stack. I have not tested this, but when you run online diagnostics, that should be visible (and possibly audible as well)...

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/3se/system_management/configuration_guide/b_sm_3se_3650_cg/b_sm_3se_3650_cg_chapter_01110.html

Hi Paul,

Thanks again. WE didn't get any visual or acoutic clues, but one of the commands reloaded the 3650. Uuups Ithink the fingers were faster than the eyes(brain?)

So the practical part is solved.

But.... I still want a way to make a router raise attention to the specific chassis without rebooting!

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: