Views
Helpful
Replies

827 configuration

hondkaustralia
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I want to ask you about VPDN. I feel confused when I see this term in 827 configuration guide.

In my experience, VPDN was implemented in RAS and Home gateway for the users who wanted to access to their home network through IP network after dialing to RAS from PC first. And the only protocols between the RAS and Home gateway router were L2F or L2TP.

When I check the 827 configuration, I couldn't help but to be frustrated. I found the command "vpdn group groupname protocol pppoe" there. Furthermore, Why do we need the dialer interface in 827 router which are never thought to be supposed to make a dial-up call?

Please help me.

4 Replies 4

Tim Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

That particular name is related to your ADSL configuration on an 827.

Basically it is part of the PPPoE configuration.

The dialer interface again is required because it is a PPP connection, similar to a dialup connection, but over ethernet instead of an async interface.

Cheers,

Tim

Thanks, Mr.smith.

Now I have got to understand the command "vpdn-group" is a requirement when implementing pppoe connection.

However, as you know, the command was originally for making a tunnel over IP network not for pppoe connection.

Yes, It could be right if we regard pppoe as a tunneling protocol over Ethernet but why is it necessary to configure the sub command "request-dialin" under vpdn-group command? The PCs behind the 827 router aren't requesting any call setup. They just give and take normal ethernet frames to the 827 router.

I don't understand why VPDN is needed to make pppoe connection? VPDN is just Virtual Private Nework between sites over IP network.

And pppoe is just a protocol stack between 2 routers, not related to Virtual Private Network. What's wrong with me in this idea?

Hi,

I didnt write the IOS :)

VPDN would normally be a remote user VPN tunnel. But you are not configuring it for that purpose. It really is just a wording thing.

Like you said in your post before. PPPoE is actually a tunnel between your two routers.

Your router initiates and establishes a PPPoE session between itself and the ISP. You can then route any IP traffic over this from your local network and PC's.

There's no tunnel between your router and your pc. Like you said that is normal IP traffic.

Cheers,

Tim

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: