cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

877W (ADSL) Connection Problem

ardy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All, I am new to this community, if this group is not a correct one to post this please guide me to the one that I can post. I have acquired an 877W ADSL router in almost mint condition. Have gone through the express SDM and configured it, but I can't get any activity nor do I get any connectivity. Have been checking my steps through SDM(Not express any more) and all seem to be OK. Have been working and I think the issue is negotiation ATM0.1. The physical router has the OK light solid green and the CD light flashing pretty rapidly. I am wondering if somebody from this group can put me in a right track or point out from the below running config what is missing or not.

IOS version: 12.4(2)T5

SDM version: 2.4

28 Replies 28

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Forget about the SDM.

Send "show dsl interface"

I can't say I disagree with you when it comes to SDM and initial configuration. I get error when "show dsl interface" however I tried

cisco-877w#show dsl interface ATM 0

Alcatel 20196 chipset information

Line has not yet been activated. No information available.

DSL: Training log buffer capability is not enabled

Try newer adsl 3.0.33 firmware from

ftp://cisco.com/pub/access/800

note you need

ip nat inside (on bvi)

ip nat outside (on dialer)

ip nat inside source list 1 interface dialer0 overload

access-list 1 permit 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

and you've the wrong values for mtu and few other stuff

but, first things first, adsl has to come up.

p.bevilacqua First off bless your hart for helping me. I don't know how to thank you, let me start working on your list in next couple of days and I will post once I am done with the new running config so you can assess........Once again Thank you.....

Ardy

No worries, we make it work then you can use the scrollbox below to rate useful posts.

Thanks, Ardy, for making me aware of your post. I probably put mine under the wrong topic. Help from anyone is of course appreciated. I will watch your post.

Cheers

uli

OK....I copyied the said firmware 3.0.33 to the flash...reboot the 877 and confirm the file was there(See attechment 1)

bevilacqua:

I pressed the post instead of Add Attachment. then I proceeded with the "show dsl interface ATM 0" and got the same message not what I expected....I got "Alcatel 20196 chipset information

DSL: Training log buffer capability is not enabled"

I was expecting to see version numbers.....is this OK, should I proceed to the rest of items you mentioned ........

No it's not normal, have you reloaded the router ?

Yes....I did reboot. I am jot a router expert, but could it be that the IOS is corrupt in one form or fashion. would we get a clean slate if we re-install the IOS that comes with the proper Firmwear and start fresh.

Yes try replacing IOS, as you can see in the thread next to this one, some more information has to be reported.

I will do that next. knowing that model numbers and IOS's are pritty involved and kind of hard to dijest for fresh eyes to recognize. what would be the version I am after? and do I need to do two seperate upload one IOS and one Firmwear or hopefully the IOS upload will have the IOS. Do you happen to know the link I Need to get this from......

my Model is 877W current Version I am running is 12.4(2)T5

I guess you would not have access anyway to downloads.

Let me think if I can find a reason why it's not working for you and I'll get back to you.

I can't say I disagree with you when it comes to SDM and initial configuration. I get error when "show dsl interface" however I tried

cisco-877w#show dsl interface ATM 0

Alcatel 20196 chipset information

DSL: Training log buffer capability is not enabled

DId u read this message?

Line has not yet been activated

I hope got it? The CD light flashes rapidly means router is trying to train up and is failing ddue to line sync issues. I wld make sure dsl service was actually active on tht line and if it is there is sme blocking the adsl signal. Depending on where your demarc is get the telco or ur cabling guy involved.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: