cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

877W (ADSL) Connection Problem

ardy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All, I am new to this community, if this group is not a correct one to post this please guide me to the one that I can post. I have acquired an 877W ADSL router in almost mint condition. Have gone through the express SDM and configured it, but I can't get any activity nor do I get any connectivity. Have been checking my steps through SDM(Not express any more) and all seem to be OK. Have been working and I think the issue is negotiation ATM0.1. The physical router has the OK light solid green and the CD light flashing pretty rapidly. I am wondering if somebody from this group can put me in a right track or point out from the below running config what is missing or not.

IOS version: 12.4(2)T5

SDM version: 2.4

28 Replies 28

I have done couple of debug commands since my last communication to this group. the result was that it seems that it wants to negotiate with the providers equipment(most likely the DSLAM) but it fails.....

I also have talked to my provider COVAD and they told me that even the hardwear is not supported by them, meanning they don't want to support in terms of scripting and out of the box solution but they have other customers that thire CISCO have been working. So be as it may I haven't gave up.

Did u ever have adsl on this line or this a fresh install? I hope ur telephone service is active on the line!!!unless this is naked DSL.

I am sure if this is afresh install the installer must hv proved the service is working before leaving rite? Where is the socket installed? Is it the same place u r connecting the 877? Try a different rj11 cable (maybe even a the router though i doubt it) and if u still don't get line sync log a no sync fault and make them come out and get sync with their modem.

Run debug atm events to see layer 1 and if u don't see showtime get on the phone since something is seriously broken.

I hv had just once case where the customer was using a faulty power supply. The cisco never trained up and we spent a week wondering what was wrong:)

No this is not a fresh install. I had this connection for past 8 years(5 static IP), it is an up and down 768k. My existing router is getting old and I am swiching to cisco.

Go ahead and install newer adsl fw

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800

you want 3.0.33

Hello P.bevilacqua:

I did this back in Sep-21st after your initial suggestion. Since then I have started all over again building a new configuration not having to do any thing with SDM. As you know as soon as you start using it it adds stuff to your config. Anyhow...the latest config is attached to this post. Also I have attached a debug for ATM0. one of my freands tend to think the issue is in layer one. Either the Dialer or ATM configuration. from the debug it seems that the ATM0 wants to connect but is not negotiating.

I have question for you. lets forget all abt connections and configurations for one moment. this router has an built in modem that dose the initial connection to the providres(COVAD) Designated DSLAM(which is in the telco facility. How would I test just the modem to assure it is working like it suppose to? just the hardwaer?

It is not a configuration issue.

Simply for some reason adsl does not synch up. You can easily try connecting it to any other circuit, ATM interface goes up and CD light is steady on.

I noticed a couple of things. I have attached what I ran on my 877W. I had a bear of a time getting things going.

At the time I was with Qwest.

I hope this helps

John

Thnaks for the post......I will try this in next few days.

It has to be configuration problem, if not than it must be hardwear. do any of you know how to test the modem. I will get to the buttom of this one way or another, I will keep you guys posted on the progress.

Regards

Ardy

Ardy

Honestly, I do not know of any way to test the modem. What I can tell you is - IF your configuration is not correct, the modem WILL NOT sync up.

I came off a site today where support sent out an new 2811 with T1 and ADSL (as a backup) because the original would not work. the new router displayed the same symptoms as the old ... No Sync! There was a stand-alone modem still in the rack, un-used and it sync'd just fine. when I asked the support contact if they had config'd ATM0 and ATM0.1 as I would try setting things up using DHCP to begin with and then migrate to to the Static IPs you currently have once you get things working.

John

IF your configuration is not correct, the modem WILL NOT sync up.

That is not correct. No matter the configuration, the circuit will always come up, but not pass data. Your problems with with the 2811 are due to something else. It is well know that unfortunately, sometime cisco adsl interface do not sync up where a $15 modem does.

Thanks John:

I will try the new config you have send me......

Have you ever resolved this ?

I just realized that FW 4.0.15 is the latest and you should try it.

Oh my god.

The issue was so simple, I feel so stupid.....The equipment is an ADSL modem my service from COVAD is SDSL, So go figure....I am curently looking into changing my Service provider since COVAD is not very cooperative in swiching my SERVIVE and keeping my current IP's or swiching and getting new ip's , they only deal with dynamic ip's when it comes to ADSL, looking into MEGAPATH now they seem to be able to provide what I need.

Ardy

Thank you for letting us know!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: