Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

As5300 routing

Can anyone tell me why this setup on a As5300 (router rip

version 2

network 133.94.0.0)

would advertise its routes as a /32 to each dial in IP address?

And does the As5300 even need to be routing IPs ?

TIA

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: As5300 routing

Eric

I believe that you will find that the 5300 is putting /32 host routes into the routing table because of the ppp negotiation where the 5300 is assigning addresses out of a dial pool. It needs those entries to keep track of which device/async is using which address.

I have had similar exeriences with configuring dial access and was able to generate a summary route which included all the individual /32 routes.

As to whether the 5300 needs to be routing IPs depends on how you want things to work. You have set up the 5300 to run a dynamic routing protocol which allows it to announce to the rest of the network the IP addresses it can reach. If you do not want it to run a dynamic routing protocol I believe that it should be possible to configure the 5300 with a default route pointing to the next hop over its LAN interface to support outbound traffic. And it should be possible to configure a static route on its neighbor router for the addresses in the dial pool. If you do this the 5300 probably does not need to run a dynamic routing protocol.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content