cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aux/Console dialbackup on 871

slauzon
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured a cisco 871 router using the shared Aux/Console port for dial backup. The only problem I have right now is that I cannot access the router using the console port anymore. If I want access to the router, I need to connect through the VPN link from the network core. Even using the correct baud rate that is auto-configured when activating the Aux port for the dial backup I can't connect. Is there a way to fix that and be able to swap from Aux to Console without reconfiguring the port and be able to use both?

1 Reply 1

slmansfield
Level 4
Level 4

The "modem enable" command under the console port (line con 0) toggles between console port access and aux port access.  They are mutually exclusive.  However, you can configure "modem InOut" under line aux 0 to allow you to dial into the router via the aux port.  This does not give you the same access as you would have on the console port, but it provides out-of-band access to the router.

HTH

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/850/software/configuration/guide/dialbkup.pdf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: