cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aux/Console port on 871 router?

adil.nasser3
Level 1
Level 1

Can the aux/console port on an 871 router function as a true aux port or is it really console port with aux port-like functionality?

The reason why I am asking is because I having a tough time getting a modem dial-in connection to work to the 871 router and I read that there are differences between these ports; for example, a console port does not provide flow control where as an aux port can.

Adil Nasser

adil.nasser@owenscorning.com

2 Replies 2

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Adil,

The 871 supports both dial backup and out-of-band management on its virtual auxiliary port with an external modem connected to it. A limited set of modems and terminal adapters has been tested, but any Hayes-compatible modem or terminal adapter can be used to connect to this port.

The console port will behave like a standard Cisco auxiliary (AUX) port if configured as such and can provide bit rates up to 115.2 KB/S. Also the dialer interface does provide flow control.

Please see figure 13-9 for configuration information

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/850/software/configuration/guide/857sg_bk.pdf

Hope this helps!

Mark

It works but I had similar issues, not understanding this new dual role port. I think you need to do the statement 'modem enable' under the con 0 and then should be ok. Here is my config.

line con 0

modem enable

speed 115200

line aux 0

exec-timeout 0 0

logging synchronous

modem InOut

modem autoconfigure type usr_sportster

transport preferred none

transport input all

transport output none

stopbits 1