Views
Helpful
Replies

AUX ports used as backup for E1 link, Need HELP

okanyilmaz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have E1 links between the branch and the central sites. Now intended to backup those with AUX ports with dial-watch. When i disconnect the E1, dial-watch initiates and calls the central router and after ppp neg. connection establishes.

The problem is, while i see the remote peer's async port's ip address in 'sh ip route' but i can't ping it. I think the problem is a result of OSPF adjancecy process failure.

Any help will be much appreciated.

P.S. I've done those configuration with the help of CCO document "Configuring AUX-to-AUX Port Async Backup with Dialer Watch"

The both configurations are attached.

6 Replies 6

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

OSPF will not form adjancy on AUX port because you have given a command ip unnumbererd loopback on AUX port so loopback interface ip should represent the AUX port and you have not advertised loopback ip address range in ospf.

Also it does not matter ospf forms an adjancy or not but you should be able to ping directly connected ip which is on your remote router but problem is you have configured unnumbered command on AUX port and AFAIK you cannot ping or trace unnumbered ip range.

You cannot use the ping EXEC command to determine whether the interface is up, because the interface has no address.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fipras_r/1rfipadr.htm#wp1020489

Lets wait some other champs to confirm this or provide their suggestions.

Regards,

Ankur

Ankur, i've solved the problem.

Thanks anyway.

Hi Friend,

Can you please update how did you solved the issue.

Regards,

Ankur

I added static routes to both routers and also added "async mode dedicated" under interface async mode.

It didnt make any sense to me but it worked perfectly.

So after all, i realized the problem had no relation with OSPF.

And also Cisco's document has some errors configuring modem.

Calling party must set the modem to ATS0=0 which stands for originate, and called party must set the modem to ATS0=1 which stands for Autoanswer. In the document i mentioned above, tells us to set ATS0=1 in both modems which drives us to chaos.

Anyway hope this helps.

Okan

I added static routes to both routers and also added "async mode dedicated" under interface async mode.

Calling party must set the modem to ATS0=0 which stands for originate, and called party must set the modem to ATS0=1 which stands for Autoanswer. In the document i mentioned above, tells us to set ATS0=1 in both modems which drives us to chaos.

Anyway hope this helps.

Okan

Anyway hope this helps.

Okan