cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backing up ISDN with PPPoE over Ethernet

adamhinett
Level 1
Level 1

I have a router connecting to a Fleet77 which presents two interfaces, ISDN BRI and ethernet.

The client wishes to use the ISDN as the prime interface to their ISP with the ethernet (20k) as a backup if the ISDN fails.

Anyone got an ideas on the best way to configure this.

mux's out a sat link via ISDN (BRI) and PPPoE over Ethernet(supports 20k).

3 Replies 3

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

I suggest to use floating static to provide backup function. If the primary route down, the floating static will be appeared in the routing table then forward the packet to the PPPoE path.

Hope this helps.

Yes thats ok but if my ISDN is on a dialer interface and is down (when idle) then any interesting traffic that should bring the bri back up will go down the ethernet hence ISDN call will not establish and routing will not go back out the bri???

Yes, you are correct. In this case, you can use below example to configure the "dialer-watch".

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800872ed.html

However, as I remember, I don't need the dialer-watch and still work, but I am sorry that I forget the way and can't test it at the momnet.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: