cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can ISDN be Packet Switched?

SecureBlob
Level 1
Level 1

I was reading about ISDN from the link below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_Services_Digital_Network

As per the link, "ISDN is a set of communication standards for simultaneous digital transmission of voice, video, data, and other network services over the traditional circuits of the public switched telephone network.

After few lines, it also says "It offers circuit-switched connections (for either voice or data), and packet-switched connections (for data), in increments of 64 kilobit/s."

Here is my confusion. I know PSTN is circuit switched. If that is true, why does the article say that ISDN offers packet-switched connections for data? Am i missing something?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello @SecureBlob

Either way ISDN is not relevant anymore. I remember back later in 90`s when I start in tech world, we used to install E1 (R2 Digital)  links and ISDN was a dream. 

ISDN is smart in comparison with others Circuit Switched Protocols. It has a D-Channel that allows to data signaling. 

What happen actually is that some devices, usually router, was able to speak Ethernet and ISDN and then ISDN was used as long distance interconnectioin beween those devices.

See the attached pic so that you an have an idea.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello @SecureBlob

Either way ISDN is not relevant anymore. I remember back later in 90`s when I start in tech world, we used to install E1 (R2 Digital)  links and ISDN was a dream. 

ISDN is smart in comparison with others Circuit Switched Protocols. It has a D-Channel that allows to data signaling. 

What happen actually is that some devices, usually router, was able to speak Ethernet and ISDN and then ISDN was used as long distance interconnectioin beween those devices.

See the attached pic so that you an have an idea.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Thank you.