Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot dial to center

remote router very difficult to connect to center;if connect ,only few minutes disconnect

7 REPLIES

Re: cannot dial to center

Based upon what I am seeing in your debug, the call is not getting connected. You are never getting past the LCP (link control protocol) setup. I can think of a couple of things that would cause this. First, dialing the wrong phone number. It will just ring and ring until it finally times out. Another is failing to apply a PBX prefix, such as 9, or 99, in front of the phone number on the dial string. You do not appear to be getting to the point of an authentication failure. Is this an external modem? If so, turn the volume up when it dials and see if all of the idiot lights show a connection state.

pw

the phone number is correct,and using this configuration,remote router can connect to center;but remote router must dial many times to connect to center,once connect,the connection disconnect quickly

the attachments is the sample to connect to center sucessfully

If this becomes a repeat post, please disregard the duplicate entries.

Your call did succeed (unlike the last debug). Authentication did succeed. Once your interface got up, your were having packets dropped at the AUX port. here is what CCO had to say:

PPP Messages

The following are PPP error messages.

Error Message

%PPP-3-AUXFAST : Fast-switching to aux port, packet dropped

Explanation A packet was fast-switched to the auxiliary port. The auxiliary port should not be part of a dialer rotary-group, dialer pool, or multilink bundle that might be the destination of a fast-switched packet. The packet has been dropped.

Recommended Action Use the no ip route-cache command to disable fast switching on whatever configuration source provides the configuration for the link to this port.

So, disable ip route cache and check debug again and see if it still complains. Once that is done, go ahead and post routing tables from each router, so we can see what the router sees when it connects.

pw

remote router can dial to center,my problem is why the connection would disconnect quickly after remoute router connect to center

well, that was one of the questions I had for you, namely what is the specific purpose of the asynch interface? Are you desirous of keeping this link pinned up all the time, or only for routing updates, or some other purpose? For example, you use the dialer command at the remote, which can be triggered by a variety of ways. I have used it previously in the past on my 1603 to fire up a demand dial connection to an ISP for a home network (mine). I used an idle timeout higher than the standard (typically I set mine for 30 minutes) to keep the connection pinned up unless we were definitely not using it any more.

In your case, it appears one of the uses is to pass routing updates via the asynch interface. If so, then you are going to run into a problem at the central site because the interface there is not tied to a virtual (dialer) interface.

Take a peek at this article:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/104/dcprob.html#reason5

If your intent was to just get an OSPF database to converge, this article should solve the problem. You would need to establish a dialer interface at the central site as well. Routing updates will only be sent when the topology changes. What is your intent for this interface? Do you want it up all of the time, or only on demand? If only on demand, then what constitutes the demand to bring the link up?

Still, I do not believe that is the root of the problem. Did this configuration ever work before, or is this a first time install? Additionally, can you send a "show version" and a "show interface" on the remote router?

pw

purpose of the async interface is to dialup backup when series line down,The center router can accept callin of Pc or Routers.Now using Pc ,I can connect to center very stable,But using this configuration router can connect to center,but the router often dial many times to connec to center ,and the connection often disconnect after connection is established.

Can you send a "show version" and a "show interface" on the remote router?

Also, having the router connect to the central site is for what purpose *other than* a backup link when your serial link goes down? Specifically, is it there to pass routing updates, user traffic, or something else?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content