Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cannot telnet into SOHO71 SOHO 71

Hi,

This is really embarrassing especially because I have been in the routing, switching a and voice field for a long time.

I am trying to telnet to a Cisco SOHO 71 router and am experiencing problems that I have never seen before. Basically, the router refuses to accept a telnet connection no matter what I try.

I configured the router via console, and in fact it is functioning. It is running PPPPoE, and because I had opened the port for RDP, I can Remote Desktop to a remote workstation through this router at the remote site and get in it via console. However, I cannot telnet into the router from the Internet and neither can I telnet into it from the remote workstation plugged into one of its LAN ports.

Before you ask, yes, there's an access-list on int E1 (WAN interface), but the first line in that access list allows access via telnet

ip access-list extended FIREWALL

permit tcp any any eq 23

Moreover, I can see that traffic is hitting the ACE in the ACL when I try to telnet from the Internet.

However, I cannot even telnet from the inside, which is really weird.

Also, I did verify that:

"transport input all" command is configured under "line vty 0 4".

This router has no crypto, so telnet is the only option to get in. The router is also reporting memory allocation problems while running the latest firmware:

soho71-oy6-mz.122-13.ZH10.bin

Thinking I may be hitting an IOS bug, I tried to load soho71-oy6-mz.122-13.ZH9.bin, which is the only other image available, but with this image, the router would not load. I am going to attempt a rommon TFTP download to recover the router.

This may be a hardware failure, but it's a "brand-new" router that was shipped as a replacement and sat in a box for 2 years. This is the first time I have tried to use it. Also, I failed to back up the original image that came on it because it was at least 2 years old, and I thought one of the two images available for this router would definitely work. I realize it was a mistake because neither one of the available images seem to be working.

I have been hitting a lot of IOS bugs lately on various platforms, troubleshooting of which kills a lot of time. Because SOHO 71 is an old router, I am not sure Cisco is actively addressing bugs (the latest image soho71-oy6-mz.122-13.ZH10.bin was released in December 2007). So, does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the telnet issue? Does anyone know where I can get an older IOS image than the two posted on cisco.com?

Thanks!

P.S. I have another router at the site -- SOHO91, which I am trying to replace with this SOHO71. I pretty much copied the configuration from the SOHO91 (which I had configured earlier). I removed everything related to crypto, but other than that, it's the same config. I can telnet to SOHO91 from the inside, so the problem I am describing here is related to SOHO 71, which I have never used before.

2 REPLIES

Re: Cannot telnet into SOHO71 SOHO 71

Hi,

You mentioned that you have this configured:

line vty 0 4

transport input all

Do you have this configured under line vty 0 4 ?

login

password cisco

Also try to remove all ACLs to isolate issue further.

If I may ask, can you also post the configuration ?

Regards,

Mark

Re: Cannot telnet into SOHO71 SOHO 71

Thanks for your response. You were right about the login command. I had aaa enabled, but when I copied the config from the SOHO91 to the SOHO71, the default setting of "login authentication default" did not seem to work for some reason. I guess it's the difference between the 12.4 and the 12.3 IOS versions. SOHO 71 does not have a 12.4 version. So, I had to manually issue the "login authentication aaa", and I was able to telnet into the box.

Views
Helpful
Replies