Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cat 3650 config - line vty 0 15 split

Probably a simple question. Why are vty terminals 0 through 4 split from 5 through 15? Example...

line vty 0 4

transport preferred none

transport input telnet

transport output none

line vty 5 15

transport preferred none

transport input telnet

transport output none

Why isnt there a single entry of the form...

line vty 0 15

transport preferred none

transport input telnet

transport output none

What is special about vty's 0 to 4?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cat 3650 config - line vty 0 15 split

Hi,

historically there have been line vty 0 to 4 in IOS. I suppose for downward compatibility the config has been split. Assume you downgrade to an IOS not supporting vty lines above 4. Then the command "line vty 0 15" would produce an error message and NO vty would be configured at all, most likely resulting in no remote access to the device.

So "line vty 0 4" will achieve remote access even if downgrading to an IOS not supporting vty up to 15.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

2 REPLIES

Hi,

historically there have been line vty 0 to 4 in IOS. I suppose for downward compatibility the config has been split. Assume you downgrade to an IOS not supporting vty lines above 4. Then the command "line vty 0 15" would produce an error message and NO vty would be configured at all, most likely resulting in no remote access to the device.

So "line vty 0 4" will achieve remote access even if downgrading to an IOS not supporting vty up to 15.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Thanks, i figured it would be for backward compatibility but i thought it best to check and make sure. Thanks for the quick reply.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content