Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 876W Router - Wireless Comms Problem

asarida01
Level 1
Level 1

I have the following physical sratus...

PC -> Wireless Card -> Router 876W (192.168.100.1)-> Sitch -> AccessPoint -> ....wireless..... -> Access Point -> Modem/Router (192.168.0.1) -> ADSL Line

On this configuration with the above IPs i have create a VLan on 876W with IP 192.168.100.1 and the some subnet has my PC 192.168.100.2.

When i am connectin to the router through a cable on Port 1 (on posrt 0 is plugged in the Switch with the Wirelless Access Point) everythink is ok and the router is routing any packet to the other network (192.168.0.1). So by asking http://192.168.100.1 from my pc i been redirect to http://192.168.0.1 and everyone is huppy.

Now i want to have the some routing when i am connecting through my PCI Wireless Card. But instead of this the only think i can see through wireless card is the router at 192.168.100.1. How can i make the router to route any packets it gets on dot1q interface to port 0, so to be able to see 192.168.0.1?

Actually i want to connect on router two user wireless and one user with cable.

Pls could somebody help me??? I am new on networking... and i am little confused...

I am sending the current config of router

7 Replies 7

Hello,

looking at your configuration, I am thinking that maybe there is a spanning tree loop between the VLAN 1 on your router, and the (default) VLAN 1 on the switch. Can you try and disable spanning-tree on your VLAN 1 interface of the router:

interface Vlan1

description $ETH-SW-LAUNCH$$INTF-INFO-HWIC 4ESW$$FW_INSIDE$

no ip address

ip nat allow-static-host

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

Also, if that doesn't help, can you try an d configure a different VLAN, e.g. VLAN 2, for the wireless clients ? That would mean adding the following to your router configuration:

interface Dot11Radio0.2

encapsulation dot1Q 2

no cdp enable

bridge-group 2

bridge-group 2 subscriber-loop-control

bridge-group 2 spanning-disabled

bridge-group 2 block-unknown-source

no bridge-group 2 source-learning

no bridge-group 2 unicast-flooding

!

interface Vlan2

no ip address

bridge-group 2

bridge-group 2 spanning-disabled

!

interface BVI2

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

!

bridge 2 route ip

Then, assign an IP address in the range 192.168.2.0/24 to your clients, or use DHCP:

ip dhcp pool vlan2

network 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 192.168.2.1

Can you try this and see if it makes a difference ?

Regards,

GP

Hi Georg,

Thanks fro your time, but did not work...

I was reading your discusion with Athol... and i think i may have the some problem...

Besides that i made some changes, you will see them in config file...

I have to give the physical status of Switch Potrs on router.

Port 0: Is connected with a fast ethernet switch of DLink (does it make any diference???)

Port 1: Network Cable connected on my on board LAN Card

Port 2: Is connected with a fast ethernet switch of DLink (does it make any diference???) - actually when i am connecting through cable i use Port 2 with IP (192.168.100.1) and everythink is ok... and when i use the wireless Card (DLink too) of my PC, with IP 192.168.2.1 it does nothing...

Somehow yet, i am not sure how, i deleted BVI1... but it seems to be no problem because i can browse everywhere...

Do i have to set trunk mode?

Kind Regards

Antonis

Hello Antonis,

I just suggested to Athol to configure the interface where the switch is connected to as following:

interface FastEthernet0

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

I am wondering if the interconnection between your (D-Link) switch (and Athol´s Intel switch) might not be working properly...

Can you try that config and see if you can establish connectivity ?

Regards,

GP

Hi Georg,

As you saw in the config file the following configuration didn't work..

interface FastEthernet0

switchport access vlan 2

switchport trunk native vlan 2

no ip address

no cdp enable

I tried this one too... niether this worked...

interface FastEthernet0

switchport access vlan 2

switchport mode trunk

no ip address

no cdp enable

i couldn't set this command 'switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q'...

while i executed this command for some reason the router couldn't set it on FastEthernet Interface instead of that the encapsulation there is on

interface Dot11Radio0.2

encapsulation dot1Q 2

How am i suppoce to set this command on FastEthernet nterface, could you send me the command line?

Is this configuration ok !!!???

interface FastEthernet0

switchport access vlan 2

What is mean 'native' vlan 2?

Why it has both access and trunk mode enabled on interface?

Keep in mind, too, that when i am connecting through cable, on Router's port 1 (counting from 0) is connected the cable to my PL Lan card (OnBorad Card not the wireless one), and on Router's port 2 is connected the D-Link switch... Why is this configuration working perfectly???? (I think i will take a cold bath!!!!)

Somewhere i read something about VLAN Tagging!!! I do not what is this exactly, and i do not remember where i had read it... i will search it... Could this be relative to our problem?

Regards

Antonis

Hello Antonis,

I think there should not be more than this on the interface:

interface FastEthernet0

switchport mode trunk

This configuration will make sure that all VLANs coming in on the trunk will be accessible. Can you try and take out the other commands:

no switchport access vlan 2

no switchport trunk native vlan 2

and just put this one in:

switchport mode trunk

Regards,

GP

i will try this later today, because i am not at home write now... and i will let you know about...

Thank you...

Antonis

Hi GEORG,

Unfortunately, nothing. Its like to ignore totaly the BVI2 and the FastEthernet Configuration. Write now i have connect the Access Point (D-Link!!!) on router's port 0 and i can browse using the IP 192.168.100.2... I can see the Access Point on 192.168.0.50 (differnet netwroks .100.2 --- .0.50) actually the router does the routing as it should be.

But when i am connecting using PC Wireless Card i can see NOTHING, not only i can not browse, but i can not either see the Access Point on IP 192.168.0.50 !!!!! ( I have tried to plug the AP on FastEthernet 0 as it is now... and on FastEthernet 2...)

I think that the router, for some reason, just dissapears the packects it gets on its antennas, without routing them to the FastEthernet 0 and then to AccessPoint.... something that it does when i am using the cable connection even yet on FastEthernet 0 Port, that is supposed we have configured for Trunk and for the IP 192.168.2.1 !!!!! ...

How can i see where the packects travell around?

Could be some bug of the IOS (version 12.3 (8)Y12)?

Could be the D-Link AccessPoint... but it works fine with the cable connection????

I am sending you the last configuration...

Please, any good idea...!!!

regards

Antonis

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: