Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client on OS X Yosemite - VPN not working if the Mac is connected via Iphone HotSpot

I have encounter a starange situation with Yosemite and Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client (all recent versions including latest 3.1.05187).

If the mac is using the internet connection of the iPhone (via Bluetooth or WiFi), when I connect with the client everything stops working, from the Internet to the traffic over the tunnel, we are using Split Tunnel with Split DNS for our internal addresses. Somehow the DNS is not working anymore.

I can ping via IP but not by name, also cannot ping any address from internet unless I add again manually the default route.

Anybody encounter this problem?   

Everyone's tags (1)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Has anyone seen the bug

Gentlemen,Seems that we have

Gentlemen,

Seems that we have a solution. Try to follow this picture to enable client bypass protocol. It works for us

OR

enter "client-bypass-protocol enable" in group-policy attributes section using CLI

49 REPLIES

I can say that I also have

I can say that I also have exactly these symptoms.

I have 3.1.05187. Just upgraded to Yosemite. Split tunnel/DNS and all was fine was last week on Mountain Lion.

DNS does not work when VPN is connected using USB/Bluetooth Hotspot (i.e. tethered). Regular WiFI is fine.

Exactly the same for me. Have

Exactly the same for me. Have tried every older version of Anyconnect I can find, multiple different ASAs, 2 different iPads, 3 different iPhones, reloaded O/S from scratch, and 3 different Macbook Pros. Issue ONLY occurs when using connection to an IOS device for access when MAC is running Yosemite.

Has anyone had any luck with this issue or are we resigned to open a TAC case and then wait on a new version of Anyconnect to be released?

From what i have seen,  /etc

From what i have seen,  /etc/resolv.conf disappears entirely, after authenticating on AnyConnect. 

Yes, I have the same exact

Yes, I have the same exact problem.

I am having the same issue

I am having the same issue with employees in my company.  Anyone have an idea if this can be fixed with the AnyConnect client, or must Apple fix it?

Just to elaborate...There is

Just to elaborate...

There is no such issue experienced with the OS X VPN client connecting the the same ASA.

We have the same issue here

We have the same issue here too. With an iPhone hotspot and Anyconnect connected the etc/resolv.conf cant be found, so basically no network activity. Disconnect Anyconnect and still using the iPhone as a hotspot and internet works. Connect to a different wireless and connect AnyConnect and it works.

Is this a Cisco or Apple issue?

i am experiencing this issue

i am experiencing this issue as well

Any update from anyone?

Any update from anyone?

I don't believe so. We still

I don't believe so. We still have the problem, even after the new iPhone and Yosemite updates. We have been trying all sorts. If anyone knows a walk round, that would be helpfull.

You can manually edit /var

You can manually edit /var/run/resolv.conf and add your DNS servers there. 

The resolve.conf file gets

The resolve.conf file gets deleted once the VPN is connected, we have tried replacing it, but still won't work. 

It returns, once we quit the VPN or connect to a non iPhone hotspot or avulse wireless network

I did this...connect with

I did this...

connect with anyconnect. the connection is successful but dns is not working. this is because the file /var/run/resolv.conf is missing. 

Start vi and add edit the file manually 

sudo vi /var/run/resolv.conf

add your dns information like this 

search foobar.com
nameserver 10.10.10.1
nameserver 10.10.10.2

save the file. after this my dns/vpn stuff is working.

Maybe you can set a 'static

Maybe you can set a 'static dns server' using the mac os network config UI AFTER connecting with AnyConnect. I never tried it.

Once you have created the

Once you have created the file with your own domain and DNS setting, do you need to do anything? like reload it.

The file is being created, but it still won't work. Cheers for you help though. 

No, it was working after I

No, it was working after I edited / created the file. You can test it with 

dig -t mx google.com @1.1.1.1

use your internal dns server instead of 1.1.1.1.

Has anyone seen the bug

We have disabled IPv6  on the

We have disabled IPv6  on the WiFi "sudo networksetup -setv6off Wi-Fi", and after connecting to AnyConnect traffic stops. So this not a viable solution.

I also tried disabling IPv6,

I also tried disabling IPv6, and it doesn't help.

Tried disabling IPv6 with

When disabling IPv6 with "networksetup -setv6off Wi-Fi" with IOS 8.2 and OSX 10.10.2, DNS seems to work globally (using iPhone DNS resolution) but not with Anyconnect-provided internal DNS server. However, name resolution is still broken for all (internal/external) names.

Tried this too, still not

Tried this too, still not working. It still trashed the resolv.conf file

I have exactly the same issue

I have exactly the same issue. Any updates yet?

Same story with Anyconnect 4

Same story with Anyconnect 4.0

I have the same problem with

I have the same problem with AnyConnect 4 and OSx 10.10.1.

Is there a solution already?

Not fixed in 3.1.07073 either

Not fixed in 3.1.06073 either...

Still not sorted for us.

Still not sorted for us. Nothing from apple yet

Just wondering if anyone has

Just wondering if anyone has heard of an update about this issue.  I am still experiencing it.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

No update, still with the

No update, still with the same issues here too!

Have this problem as well and

Have this problem as well and depending on workstation network configuration it either fails to connect (due to ipv6 forwarding table re-writes failing according to the debug log) or connects with the issues mentioned in this thread, no DNS, empty resolv.conf. 

Would love to see a resolution to this, but suspect it'll come from the Apple side given that everything was "fine" in Mavericks.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content