Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

CNR DHCP Client-class

We are using CNR with multiple scopes to provide ip addressing for both computers and IPTV set top boxes. The STB's require boot params in dhcp option-131 and option-240. I have set up a client-class-policy that contains the two options and when I set up a client with an exact mac address, then the information is provided correctly.

The problem is we have hundreds of STB's. How do I get CNR to generalize the client mac address to just the first 3 bytes?

I have tried creating a client with 00:00:00 for the last three bytes and then altering the dhcp-client-identifier to match, but it doesn't work.

The docs state that you can create a client-lookup-id expression but shows no examples.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: CNR DHCP Client-class

use the following documents it contains decsription as well as examples for client-lookup-id expression

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/network_registrar/7.0/user/guide/UG25_Exp.html

Reread the docs closer and found that the environment parameter 'default-client-class-name' is only visible in the pre-client-lookup extension. So in the post-packet-decode extension I check the request parameter 'dhcp-class-identifier' and then set a environment parameter stb-type to a class name.

In the pre-client-lookup I check to see if the stb-type is in the environment dictionary. If it is then I set 'default-client-class-name' to that value. This forces the DHCP to use the client-class of the same name as the default for this DHCP request. Since I set the option 131 in the appropriate client-class-policy then it all works. Don't even need a client set up at all.

Thanks for the response on expressions. Looks like I may have been able to do it that way too.

create a client class (not a client)

evaluate the dhcp-client-identifier and assign the client class.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content