cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting a router at the end of DSL line using 255.255.255.255 subnet mas

michael.cho
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there, I am going to attach one Cisco 1760 router at the end of DSL line. My service provider has given us one static IP address with 255.255.255.255 subnet mask and no gateway address. I am going to run IPSec VPN between this router and our center router over the Internet. However, with the given IP address, it seems that I cannot make this VPN tunnel as we do not have the IP address for the default gateway. do you think I can use this IP address with 255.255.255.255 subnet mask and no gateway to achieve my goal?

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

You can setup the easy vpn server/client setup here for the VPN connectivity between ur locations.

Your central router will act as the easy vpn server accepting the tunnels from the easy vpn clients which is nothing but your remote locations.

But before getting this configured i would suggest to check out whether both ur routers support the configuration required for the same.

basically u need to have the required ios in ur router to support them up also the required h/w resources like DRAM,FLASH to hold the supported IOS code..

Pls check this link for more info on how to configure the same..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801dddbb.shtml

regds

Thank you for your reply. I think I can manage the VPN tunnel between those two routes(Center and this router) once I resolved my concern on the IP address with 255.255.255.255 subnet mask. I still have concern with this IP address. My ISP has given me one static IP address with 255.255.255.255 subnet mask, and no gateway ip address. I am looking for a solution how I can set up my router with this IP address which does not have gateway inforamtion and has the subnet mask of 255.255.255.255.

If you have any good information on how to set up my router using IP address with 255.255.255.255 subnet mask, please help me out.

thank you.

have you tried:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Ethernet 0/0

You can weight it if you want default traffic to go over the vpn after the tunnel has been established.

BillBores
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Michael,

I have seen this from ISP's before. I believe that you can request that they specify a default gateway DG for you. If you tell them that you need this for your configuration, they may provide it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: