Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN Options for Remote support

StanDamen
Level 1
Level 1

Dear community,

We are currently looking for a new solution to handle remote support through a VPN connection. This is currently done by either site-to-site VPN which involves high scalability issues with IP schemes or through client-server. The client-server VPN however means we have to place a VPN server of some sort in the customers network. As you can imagine this is not always approved of by the customers netwerk administrators.

I'm researching the possibility of a new solutions that would take away the need to put a server in the customers network, either by placing the server at our office and the client at the customer, or some other means.

From what i understand of DMVPN it could offer some possibilities. My idea is the following:

Have the "hub" at our office connected to spokes at the customers networks which are connected with a permanent VPN connection. If i understand it correctly we do not need to put a separate device in the customers network, but could use any existing Cisco device that is connected to the machines we need access to for support. This means that any cisco router or similar that routes traffic to our machines at the customers site could do it...

Ofcourse the real thing is a bit more complicated, but i was wondering if anyone knew if this is possible and what the limitations/problems with this idea are...

Any comments are welcome, even if you say its absolutely not possible, but please explain your reasoning.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not sure what your question then.

DMVPN is a method to provide VPN at each location using routers.

According to most, is the best solution as it doesn'tt depend by any computer and has a myriad of features and advantages.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DMVPN does not requires any server. Only a router is needed in each location connected.

Unless you have ample networking experience, I recommend leaving the design, configuration and maintenance to a certified professional or reputable consultant.

No, DMVPN doesnt require a server, but our current solution does.

DMVPN however still requires a device in the customers network, the spoke.

Im just looking for information if this option is viable or not.

As for experience, I handle the networks here as well as the current VPN solutions, im just new to this DMVPN concept.

Not sure what your question then.

DMVPN is a method to provide VPN at each location using routers.

According to most, is the best solution as it doesn'tt depend by any computer and has a myriad of features and advantages.

Ill try make some network diagrams to elaborate what i mean and post them in a new topic.

Maybe that will help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: