cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Having trouble with AS2511 RJ configuration.

navidi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all. Could someone give me advice on this issue, i think i have it close to being resolved but need a slight push in the right direction. Any help/advise would be great.

I am in the process of building my lab. MY current setup has 4 cisco 2610 and 2 2501s for backbone routers along with a frame switch and a 2511 rj term server.

I have set up 2 of my routers to connect through the frame switch and am configuring the console ports to allow me access via my terminal server.

Following is my setup

2610----frame switch----2610

\ /

\ /

\ /

term server

This is what i am a problem with. Both 2610s can talk to each other so i have ip connectivity. But when i try to connect on the console ports from the term serv i get a message saying. Trying r2 (172.16.1.1)... Open

Password required, but none set. Wierd thing is that both 2610s have the console password set. Config follows. So what gives? i know the config is saved and i have the right roll over cables connecting or else i would never even get the message saying password not set.

line con 0

password lab

line aux 0

password labs

login

transport input all

line vty 0 4

password lab

login

The term serv config follows.

Term_Server#sh ru

Building configuration...

Current configuration:

!

version 12.0

service timestamps debug uptime

service timestamps log uptime

no service password-encryption

!

hostname Term_Server

!

!

ip subnet-zero

no ip domain-lookup

ip host r2 172.16.1.1

ip host r1 172.16.1.1

!

!

!

!

interface Loopback0

ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.255

no ip directed-broadcast

!

interface Ethernet0

no ip address

no ip directed-broadcast

shutdown

!

interface Serial0

no ip address

no ip directed-broadcast

shutdown

!

no ip http server

ip classless

!

!

line con 0

transport input none

line 1 16

no exec

exec-timeout 25 0

transport input all

line aux 0

line vty 0 4

login

!

end

So can anyone help me with this? Please. Thx.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

It looks like you are not hitting r2 through the console, you are hitting r2 via telnet.

If this is true, you should be able to put a password on vty 0 4 and sucessfully connect.

"Password needed and none set" is a telnet error ... not someting that would come from a console connection.

In your host definitions on the TermServer, remember to use a loopback address of te TermServer (along with the port 2001, 2002 ...).

Like: host r2 192.168.1.1 2002 <--192.168.1.1 is the loopback address of the termserver (itself).

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

It looks like you are not hitting r2 through the console, you are hitting r2 via telnet.

If this is true, you should be able to put a password on vty 0 4 and sucessfully connect.

"Password needed and none set" is a telnet error ... not someting that would come from a console connection.

In your host definitions on the TermServer, remember to use a loopback address of te TermServer (along with the port 2001, 2002 ...).

Like: host r2 192.168.1.1 2002 <--192.168.1.1 is the loopback address of the termserver (itself).

Good Luck

Scott

ScottMac,

thanks for the advice, i was able to get my connections across. I did have it configured like you advised earlier but for some wierd reason either the connections werent getting through or maybe i was fat-fingering.