Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can i upgrade system IOS images of routers, switches and firewalls

Hi,

I am very much surprised and less of understanding yet how Cisco's licensing program or IOS upgrades are done. I have many routers, switches & ASA's of whom i wan to upgrade the IOS's but i cannot do so. How ever i can download those images from internet but i want to know how can i do this from Cisco as i don't want to trust those IOS's available over internet.

As per my study what i have found that i need to have Cisco Service Contract number for that devices so that i can download updated IOS Images for them.

Someone kindly explain what are the best methods for the above requirements.

Regards

@Mohammed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You're correct regarding a service contract. Cisco calls this Smartnet support. It includes both hardware support (i.e. returns for failed hardware), software support (including right to download and upgrade your software) and technical assistance (via the Cisco TAC). Smartnet is charged separately for each covered device. Once you have it, your cisco.com userid needs to be associated with your service contract number. Doing that will then allow you to download the software from cisco.com. (There are some very limited cases in which you don't have to have a support contract - mostly when there is a security advisory (PSIRT) indicating the Cisco software was flawed as it was initially released.)

Every product (or product family) has a product support page on cisco.com. That page includes release notes, configuration guide, users guides, and a link to software downloads for that product. Start by reading the release notes and determining which (if any) upgrade is appropriate for your product. Then you can download and upgrade the software as necessary.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You're correct regarding a service contract. Cisco calls this Smartnet support. It includes both hardware support (i.e. returns for failed hardware), software support (including right to download and upgrade your software) and technical assistance (via the Cisco TAC). Smartnet is charged separately for each covered device. Once you have it, your cisco.com userid needs to be associated with your service contract number. Doing that will then allow you to download the software from cisco.com. (There are some very limited cases in which you don't have to have a support contract - mostly when there is a security advisory (PSIRT) indicating the Cisco software was flawed as it was initially released.)

Every product (or product family) has a product support page on cisco.com. That page includes release notes, configuration guide, users guides, and a link to software downloads for that product. Start by reading the release notes and determining which (if any) upgrade is appropriate for your product. Then you can download and upgrade the software as necessary.